Nikon F-mount adapter for STC-7 ???

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Tim Povlick, Sep 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

Is there an adapter to attach a Nikon (manual) lens to an STC-7 or the SC-2 ?
    Decades ago, a Nikon adapter was obtained from SBIG?? (see attached) It has 55mm threads.
    An image taken with an 85mm Nikon lens and the STL-11000 shows a "not bad" result, although a portion of the top had to be cropped. With the smaller sensor size of the STC-7, the combo would make an interesting wide field system.
    An adapter for a Mamiya 7II lens would be interesting.

Regards,
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's possible that the STF "direct to camera" CLA might work, though I haven't verified whether the back focus distance would be in the correct range.

Five or six years ago we had tons of demand for the CLA adapters, but it seems few are interested in them these days. So we haven't put any effort into developing new ones... but I'll add your vote to the (very short) list.

3. Tim Povlick

Thank you for the reply Doug. The STL is a well thought out design and beautiful piece of machining. One can dial in the back focus a couple of mm to allow for tolerances in the system.

The ST-402 and STC-7 use the Baader T-2 female threads (42mm x 0.75). Precise parts has ability to make a Nikon F mount to ST402 therefore I'll give that a try.

Have a good weekend....

Tim

Edit: changed STF to STL thread as that seems the proper nomenclature when examining the historic record. The thread spec is 2.156" x 24 TPI although STL-11000 manuals states 2.158" diameter.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  4. Tim Povlick

I checked the STF adapter and it threads into the SC-2. The backfocus spreadsheet says back focus distance is 44.0mm and the Nikon needs 46.5mm. The STF ahs about 0.350" of adjustment so it should be able to make up the 2.5mm needed. One can use the SC2 as a guider or an expensive spacer. Thanks for the idea to check this out!!!

Tim

Doug likes this.