No applicable calibration groups....

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Greg Wandless, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Greg Wandless

Greg Wandless Cyanogen Customer

I am trying to do some photometry. I created three calibration groups manually using set calibration, Bias, Dark and Flat. When I try to calibrate one of my Lights I get an error message saying "No applicable calibration groups were found for this image. Please run Set Calibrate." What am I not doing??

I found a thread about this error but there was no solution.

I am using the Demo Version, the images were not acquired using MaxIm DL , and are CR2 images.

I would like use MaxIm DL but I need to be able to use it for photometry.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can you upload a single set of light, bias, dark, and flat images? If they're too big to post in thread than you can use dropbox or upload to our ftp server.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Which Canon DSLR were they acquired with?

4. Greg Wandless

A Canon 20d.

5. Greg Wandless

New to the group. Can you give me the particulars?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Use Filezilla (free download) or similar to upload to ftp.diffractionlimited.com, incoming folder

7. Greg Wandless

Is there a password for the site?
    I tried anonymous but that failed.

8. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hi Greg.

Ftp has become rather hit and miss of late with many anti-virus firewalls blocking the protocol. Even when this is not the case you may have to try many times before making a successful connection.

The password field should be left empty.

FTP Host Address: ftp.diffractionlimited.com
    User ID : anonymous@diffractionlimited.com
    Password : (NO PASSWORD)

I gave up trying to achieve an ftp connection to Diffraction’s ftp server after spending a whole day on this just last year from Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines at our remote site in Portugal but rather perversely I’ve recently discovered it works instantly from the Safari Browser on an iPad or iPhone but not from a iMac or Macbook on the same network!

Best method is to open a free Dropbox or Google drive account, place your images in a folder on the Dropbox or Google drive share, enable sharing for the folder and post back here with the share link.

Tip: With Dropbox if you accidentally exceed the free space allowance the account becomes locked until you sign up for a monthly subscription. When you delete files and folders from the desktop Dropbox folder they disappear into a hidden trash bin which counts towards your free allowance, sneaky or what! After deleting files and folders from your desktop Dropbox folder you have to log into your Drobox account, go to the folder view and manually empty the trash.

No such problems with Google Drive, when that fills up you just can’t add anymore files until you delete some older stuff to make room.

William.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. Greg Wandless

Thanks William.

Able to make a connection and it seems to make the transfer but no files show up in the \incoming directory.

10. Greg Wandless

Doug,
    I have uploaded the bias, flat and dark master files created by MaxIm and a Light image I am trying to process.

Here are the links to the files.
    Link to Light frame.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OTXJVhqLzdY_GjsEaid8CCm1e7V6A079/view?usp=sharing

Links to calibration frames.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QlIw_MGH0_aDFY2JBNWrGmftVuUrtuUn/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kQrBT4xyzXRscLioveYDPLzksJs5_cpZ/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_KYA3iPp8R23tpisdJP9AguvfHz5u-BP/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. William B

Hello Greg

That's normal, the contents of the ftp folder are not visible to upload clients, only Diffraction Limited Staff.

I took a quick look at the Google drive files but you have accidentally linked to the dark frame twice and haven't linked to a 'Light' frame so I couldn't go any further with this.
    If you have uploaded a complete folder of bias/dark/flat/light to the ftp folder then I expect Doug will take a look as soon as he is able, if you want one of the community to take a look then you would have to post back with a link to a single Light frame.

William.

12. Greg Wandless

William,
    Gotcha,
    I fixed the the links in the original post.
    Thanks for taking a look.
    Greg

13. William B

Hi Greg

I think the problem is that your .fit calibration masters are already debayered colour frames but the .CR2 "light" frame is still a bayered image, the calibration frames have 3 NAXIS entries in the fits header but the light is only 2NAXIS so calibration will return the error message that you see.

I was able to calibrate the .CR2 light with your calibration frames after de-bayering the .CR2 first and then invoking the calibrate command.

I don't usually work with OSC or DSLR images so I'm not the best person to advise on calibrating colour images but from memory I think the calibration masters should be created from Bayered frames, and use these to calibrate the Bayered lights from the camera, then debayer the resulting calibrated image.

The thing I'm not 10o% certain of is whether you can create the calibration masters from the raw CR2 files directly or whether you should work exclusively with .fits, perhaps Doug can add to the reply and suggest which is the correct method for handling .CR2 files with regard calibration masters.

Hope this was the answer.

William.

14. Greg Wandless

Thanks William.
    How do you debayer a Cr2 file?

15. William B

From the 'Color' menu on the top tool bar, select 'Convert Color", in the 'Camera' drop-down menu select the camera model, or if not listed, use one of the generic Bayer patterns then click OK.

William.

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It doesn't work because the calibration frames are all tricolor (have been color converted aka deBayered), and the light frame isn't - it's a raw monochrome image.

It is always best to perform calibration prior to color conversion. When yo do that, it is important to set Flat Norm to either Boxcar Filter or Bayer Planes.

Please see http://www.diffractionlimited.com/help/maximdl/HID_PROC_SETCALIB.htm for more information.

17. Greg Wandless

Doug,

Thanks so much that did the trick.
    Working forward on photometry.
    Greg