No Image Requested

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Merrel Miller, Apr 30, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Merrel Miller

Merrel Miller Cyanogen Customer

I ran into an error that I haven't seen before. As I started up my image session I usually test the equipment to make sure everything is a go. I was using NINA to control my SBIG AC4040 + FW and when I attempted to take an exposure, it wouldn't download. So to further troubleshoot, I tried to take an image using my MDL 6.29 and immediately after exposing the image I get the error message "No Image Requested". I don't even know where to start looking to solve this. I've used this camera for the past 16 months with virtually no issues. Thus far I've done the normal things like rebooting my computer, reinstalling the driver, checked the USB connection (the FW and cooler work fine) and now am needing your help. Please provide your expertise.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Did you power cycle the camera after the error was encountered in N.I.N.A. ?
    Reinstalling/uninstalling usually is not the best strategy. Figuring out what the actual cause of the problem may take some investigating.
    Which version of Windows are you running?
    If you launch the DL Config utility, what driver version is listed? e.g. 2.4.0.0?

3. Merrel Miller

Yes, I recycled the power to the camera. I'm using Windows 11 and the driver version is 2.4.0.0 One thing that I noticed this morning was that when I tried starting up the camera with MDL, I had to recycle the power to get the serial number to be recognized. Normally this is automatic. I tried an exposure and it exposes and attempts to download but just hangs.
    upload_2023-5-1_7-37-58.png

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, that's odd. Here's a couple more things to check.

1. Extra DLAPI.DLL
    Look in this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Diffraction Limited\MaxIm DL 6
    If you see a file called "dlapi.dll", then delete it.

Sometimes when installing/reinstall/uninstall, a few files can get left behind with different versions.

2. Windows Updates
    We've noticed Microsoft has made changes to Windows Updates.
    Since things used to work, this is one area where it is worth a look.
    Check that Windows is installing updates to other Microsoft components including runtimes etc. It's explained here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/windows-11-extra-updates.9640/
    After you turn the extra updates on, then run Windows Update a couple times, and reboot after each.

3. Power Management
    Some Windows Updates can reset power management settings, including USB Selective Suspend which will impact any USB hardware on the system and cause unreliable communications.
    Check this:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

4. Bad cable
    Unplug and replug both ends of the USB 3.0 cable.
    Try a different cable.

Let us know if any of that resolves it.

I'll discuss this with colleagues this morning.

5. Merrel Miller

Thanks. I'll get back to you later today.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If still not resolved, we'll want to do a bit of diagnostic logging to get to the bottom of this.

7. Merrel Miller

Colin, after three different camera software programs and all new cable, nothing seems to work. I just tried again with a brand new USB cable and the camera connects fine, the cooler and the filter wheel work in MDL. As soon as I hit the expose button, the camera exposes and immediately goes to download and just stays there until MDL crashes. As far as the computer, I was mistaken, it operates on Windows 10 which operates the observatory (my desktop interface is Win 11) but I checked the updates and there has not been any since 4/12/23, and I've imaged numerous times since then. The last session prior to the current situation was two nights ago which everything worked fine. Please advise on next steps. I currently have just the camera connected so as to not having anything else causing issues.

8. Merrel Miller

Additional information: I downloaded SharpCap and the appropriate ASCOM drivers to my laptop (to eliminate my main computer as the source of the problem). I had the AC4040 directly connected to the USB port and started the program. It found the camera as expected and all looked like it should, but as with my main telescope computer, the image started to expose/download and just hung the SharpCap program. It seems to lend strong evidence that the problem is in the AC4040. Hopefully you have some ideas on getting me up and running again.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  9. Merrel Miller

Last night I also did some experimenting with rolling back the firmware. I installed version 13 and the camera behaved the same. I even tried going back to version 12 with no luck. At this point, I'm back to the most recent, version 14. It seems there is no issue communicating with the camera via USB but still can't complete a download of an image.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Is your observatory computer internet accessible?
    I'd like to arrange a remote session to have a look at this.
    Let me know when you can be available. I need 30 minutes notice.
    Send a Private Message with your phone number and schedule.
    If so, I'll need you to download and run this remote support tool: https://www.realvnc.help/

11. Merrel Miller

Yes, it has internet. I use Teamviewer to operate it from my office. I'm available now and will send you a private message with my phone number (assuming I can figure out how)

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Just click Send a Private Message under my picture at the left.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Merrel, I believe your RMA is in process.

You also need to know that we released an update on Friday May 19 to the DL API Drivers.
    This is recommended for all Aluma and STC cameras.

You can read about it and download here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/dlapi-2-7-1-0-released.9722/

I figured I'd let you know, so that you can apply the update when you get the camera back.