Resolved Noise and more Noise -- beginner Imager some kind help from the experts please

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by Charles Sinsofsky, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Charles Sinsofsky

Charles Sinsofsky Cyanogen Customer

Good day, I am trying to learn. I have only taken a few images, my M57 my first was not bad -- for a first image taken with my SBIG STL 11k camera mono with L R G B filters the results while not in this groups league was not bad but ok.

Now I wanted to be more courageous and after a rather unsuccessful M27; I did a stacked L R G B and a 300 second HA x 5 shot -- the filters were not in the correct order -- on the m57 shot they were, but somehow (this has to be user error) the order of the filters in the SETUP box changed on me -- so when I was shooting L I was actually shooting BLUE etc.. all messed up -- anyways that is pure user error and idiot mistake - I will redo this, the HA one looks like but suffers from serious NOISE !!

The issue I have now is IC1848

I shot this last night:

5 x 1200 seconds darks -- at -20c
    5 x 1200 HA guided on my AP 1100 mount also done at -20c the RMS on the guiding average 0.040 to 0.120 all night on both X and Y graph shows very close to the horizontal bar. -- but this is not the issue

The noise is. I created my master dark -- as I assume is correct procedure and then saved it. I see the MASTER file present.

I then stacked my HA images -- and created the stacked HA -- looks nearly identical to the non-stacked but did it just the same ..done.

I then used CALIBRATE and all I see is some removal of 'fake stars' and a couple bars -- if any.

I have too then using the HISTORGRAM tool slide the green slider way to the right to see anything, the nebula comes up but filled with noise -- I cannot seem to remove this.

So obviously I am doing something wrong, or my old SBIG STL 11k (I have purchase a new camera to replace this one, but it will not be here for sometime - so I am playing with this camera I bought 15+ years ago, just it sat in a box and is finally being used even though soon to be replaced - waste but my fault here)

Anyways, I am going to upload th RAW fits and the RAW HA's I like some if possible the experts here to look at my captured data -- is this my camera? or can the noise be removed. My skies at my home Bortel 7 - but this image is 100% HA .

Please understand, I am serious beginner here, I did not use auto-next image, I wanted to keep things very simple I imaged and saved the image and hand-named it. All the images with the Dx are the darks 1 through 5 and the HA_x are the Hyndrogen Alpha images 1 through 5. all are 1200 seconds long.

I would dearly love to see if someone can produce anything? -- my results after stacking and calibrating the image is THERE but it is filled with noise , it is not 'smooth' or proper -- sorry I do not know how to explain how or the proper words -- but i have looked at others pictures here ART-WORK this is what -- in a long time - i hope to achieve.

Perhaps this camera is simply too old, but i think it is the imager not the camera -- the carpenter cannot blame his tools. I have an ZWO ASI 6200 coming to replace my aging and perhaps 'defective' SBIG 11k -- look at the darks tons of noise !! tons !! try to stack I am using Doug's excellent software 6.30 but I cannot remove the noise or produce something that is not filled with like a 'screen door' in front of the image -- make sense?

I know this is a BIG ASK but not to super process, just to look at the files -- does this look right to you? or something is really off here? these are the RAW files -- should they look this way? it is hard to know if something is right or wrong if one does not have even a baseline -- what is proper noise levels for my type of camera if any?

Thank you for your time
    Charles Sinsofsky

Attached Files:

2. Charles Sinsofsky

Charles Sinsofsky Cyanogen Customer

Good day, I have found my problem -- inexperience for sure. In order to remove the noise, I subtract the dark master to each HA frame individually and the results were very good -- the nebula can now be seen after stacking, it was even visible after calibrating on each HA frame and then stacking produced this.

I have to re-take this shot rotating the camera 90 degrees so that I will capture the whole nebula but at least we have a starting point -- understanding.

Regards
    Charles

Attached Files:

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

There you go... Glad you figured it out, before anyone even had a chance to reply!