OAG-8300 .7x reducer

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Paul Buirke, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Paul Buirke

Paul Buirke Cyanogen Customer

Is it possible to remove the .7x reducer from the OAG and still be able to get the guider para-focal with the main chip? If so is it the lens held in with the 2 Phillips head screws in the bottom of the barrel that the guider sits in?
    Thanks...

2. Peter Bresler

Peter Bresler Cyanogen Customer

I was able to use an Orion thin OAG with my SBIG 8300 camera and a ZWO efw.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I’d be shocked if it came to focus. And no, the lenses are not held in with screws.

Why do you want to remove it? There is no possible benefit.

4. Paul Buirke

I have the STF 8300/FW8/OAG-8300, my ST-i is going in for repair and my other guide camera has a few hot pixels, the reducer in the OAG-8300 makes the guide stars too small and the hot Pix are causing a problem with the guide star selection. It's primarily a remote setup so guider full calibration isn't always possible, my other guide camera doesn't have a shutter so a simple auto-dark isn't and option. I do have other oag's but for the $$$ spent on the OAG-8300 I would like to keep it in use.

5. Peter Bresler

Peter Bresler Cyanogen Customer

The Orion thin OAG is $129.00 and ZWO 7 position EFW retails for $300.00, often available used. I actually sold my SBIG EFW because I could not fit in any other OAG, but the Orion worked.

6. Paul Buirke

Thanks Doug, it was just a though till I get the ST-i back. I could use my ST-i c, but wanted to take that back with me. I wont be back to the site for a few months after I leave from this trip.

7. Paul Buirke

Thanks Peter, i think I have that Orion OAG somewhere in the Obs. I'll look into that option.