Object RA / DEC not added to header, trouble matching

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Tim Brothers, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Tim Brothers

Tim Brothers Cyanogen Customer

I've been using Maxim to analyze our data for quite some time but just started using it to capture our images on this particular system and I'm having a very basic problem that is leading to processing issues. I'm guessing it is something simple so maybe one of you can help.

Despite Maxim being connected to my SiTech mount in the observatory control window, RA and DEC is not being entered into the FITS headers. I'm using v6.10. I thought I could use Pinpoint to work around this for now and I gave it a suggested location and it is frequently choosing an incorrect location, degrees away using GSC. I've never had this happen before in Maxim/Pinpoint. It does pickup the correct plate scale. The images are in Blue despite it saying it is in V so not sure if that causes a hiccup.

So then trying to move on to photometry... I tried to use the Auto Star matching method of alignment. It fails every time. I don't know if this plays into it but because of the small plate scale of 0.19 the largest radius doesn't cover most stars in the image. Any ideas?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you describe a bit more about your setup? e.g. SiTech mount is controlled how? e.g. you'd have the Sidereal Technology ASCOM driver, and do you have POTH, some planetarium software? Is Maxim controlling the mount?

What camera do you have, filter wheel, rotator, and optical train do you have (scope, reducers)? Have you manually set up the optical parameters?
    Have you sanity-checked the plate scale, because that seems tiny, but I don't know what you have for camera pixel size and count (e.g. 9uM pixels in 1024x1024 array), and scope (e.g. 8" f/10 2000mm f.l.)
    For the second part "Images in Blue", in the Setup Camera Control, Setup Filters - Did you name the filters? The defaults will be Red Green Blue Luminance, Filter 5, etc.

3. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

When you connect to your mount in the Observatory control window, what are you selecting in the ASCOM chooser?