Older Telecompressor with STF-8300, FW, and SC-2

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by John Cangelosi, Mar 3, 2023.

1. John Cangelosi

John Cangelosi Standard User

I have a WideField 2" f/5 Telecompressor system made by OPTEC that I would like to use but I'm unsure if it will work with my present equipment. I do have a mounting kit for "SBIG ST-x CCD cameras" but I assume that won't work with my current imaging setup. Any information about this would be appreciated.

STF - 8300M
    FW8- 8300
    SC-2

Thank you,
    John

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It might actually work. (You might have mentioned what scope this is going on with what focuser etc), but here's the important stuff.

Factors:
    1. Will the main sensor reach focus with the Telecompressor (TC) in place?
    Sometimes a TC reduces the back focus distance - where the image focal plane form when the TC is in the light path, so you'd know if the camera can reach focus

2. Vignetting/illumination of the SC-2 pick-off mirror
    You'll have to check if starlight reaches the SC-2 pickoff mirror when the TC is in place

3. Mechanicals
    There are different ways of mounting this stuff. e.g. with an adapter plate or nosepiece etc.

4. Position of the TC relative to your focuser draw tube. Some focusers allow the TC to be mounted inside the draw tube; others ahead of the focuser; others after.
    This affects where the focal plane ends up physically. See #1.

5. What mechanical adapters, plates, tubes, extenders, nosepieces you have or can obtain

We have a Backfocus calculator spreadsheet that might help: https://diffractionlimited.com/downloads/BackfocusCalculator.xlsx
    Using that sheet, I get (STF-8300, FW8-8300, SC-2, 2mm thick filters I'm assuming) requires 2.175 inch / 55.2mm backfocus, without any adapter rings or nosepiece hardware.

Sometimes it's just best to try it.