Parallel ST-8 and Windows

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Walter Sullivan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Walter Sullivan

Walter Sullivan Cyanogen Customer

I have a parallel ST-8. If I can get a modern computer with a parallel port, will the legacy drivers available to download work on Windows 7 or 8?

Thank you.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This is problematic. It definitely won't work on a 64-bit Windows 7/8/10 machine. It may be possible in a 32-bit machine, but...

The camera isn't a printer, so the SBIG camera drivers required direct access to the ISA bus port address, which isn't supported. There may be third party plug-in solutions available that emulate the ports, but I'm not aware of any that I can recommend.

3. Walter Sullivan

Walter Sullivan Cyanogen Customer

Just being an amateur astronomer and not a computer geek, and having no idea what an "ISA bus port address" is, would it work if the OS was Windows XP. I believe it worked on this before. Thank you.

4. caober

caober Cyanogen Customer

Late reply but in case anyone else is looking for an answer... I have a parallel ST-8 working on a Windows 7 laptop. It has to be 32 bit Windows 7 and you have to use the legacy software from the SBIG Archives and the 32bit version of the driver checker. The Parallel port is through a port replicator I paid $12 for on Ebay. Image acquisition works through CCDOps, CCDSoft and even the camera control add-on in TheSkyX.

Downloads after exposure are slow and take some getting used to but everything works just fine.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Good to know. Do you have the part number of the port replicator you used?

6. caober

caober Cyanogen Customer

I believe it's the HP Docking Station KP080AA but will have to double check when I get back to my observatory. I use it with an HP Probook 6530b. The docking station works with several other models of HP Probooks as well.

I have a Dell Precision M4500 and it's docking station I've been meaning to test with too.

7. SteveGauthier

SteveGauthier Cyanogen Customer

I have an old ST-7/CFW8 that works on a Windows 10 PC of my making. It's connected to a PCI Express Parallel port adapter made by SYBA (I suspect it's Chinese) that I got at CanadaComputers here in London. Model of the card if that helps is SD-PEX1005. I have the card set to LPT1 in the port settings under the Device Manager.

I will also confirm that the parallel port support from the SBIG drivers only works with the 32 bit version of Windows 10.