Parallel STs & Windows compatibility

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Shannon Towey, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Shannon Towey

Shannon Towey Standard User

Hi,

I have older ST-7, ST-8, and ST-9 cameras, all with parallel ports, that I'm having trouble connecting to my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. The computer has a classic LPT port but it is not recognizing the cameras in CCDOps or Maxim DL. What drivers and build of CCDOps do I need that can run on my computer? Thank you.

Shannon

2. csandfort

csandfort Cyanogen Customer

Try the archived legacy software for parallel port cameras here: https://www.sbig.com/support/software-archive/

However, SBIG Application Notes say, Parallel Port drivers are not compatible with and will not run under 64 bit versions of Windows.

Perhaps Doug or Tim etc. can provide the final answer.

3. Shannon Towey

Thank you for the response.

I've downloaded the legacy software and still no luck. I have read those notes but I was wondering if anyone has found a workaround since that document is from 2009... If all else fails, I can try running the computer in XP mode, but I would rather not do that due to security issues. I would also rather not have to have an older computer for these cameras as I also have a newer ST-i camera that runs on usb and works splendidly.

Shannon

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately there is no solution possible. Windows 7 will not support a parallel port even if the computer has one. Microsoft not only removed support; they blocked access to the ports.

Your only option is to use a 32-bit version of Windows XP. Perhaps you can run it in a virtual machine.

5. Shannon Towey

Thank you for the response!

I'm trying to run it in XP mode right now, but I keep getting the "sbigudrv.dll missing" error, even though the driver is installed according to the Driver Checker. However, it says that the date is 1-26-15 for that driver. Is it possible that I need an older version of the driver and if so, where can I download that and use it without it updating to the current version? Thank you.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You do have to download the older version of the drivers. It is available on our web site.

7. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

8. jliles01

jliles01 Cyanogen Customer

I may not be much help here. But I can say that for about 2 years we've been using Win 7 32 bit, an older parallel port ST-7 camera, and CCDOPS with no problem. It is the older, "legacy", version of CCDOPS, don't know the version number since I am at home and our observatory is at my friends house, but I'm pretty sure it was the last CCDOPS version made for parallel port cameras. I don't remember how, but we did get the parallel port to see the camera. It seems like there was a kind of hidden menu popup where we had to "turn on" the "LPT" port. I don't remember if it was a Windows popup menu or a CCDOPS popup menu. My partner seems to think it was a CCDOPS popup menu.

But I can say it can be done.

9. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

There is one popup menu related to I/O setup inside the ccdops only. Please see my attachment. This popup menu is not hidden but visible.
    You can use it: Menu -> Misc -> Graphics / Comm Setup. For older LPT cameras, users have to use the last sbig driver, supporting this LPT ports as mentioned above.
    Jan

Attached Files: