Resolved Plug removed on STF8300 in repair attempt

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Peter Bresler, May 1, 2021.

1. Peter Bresler

Peter Bresler Cyanogen Customer

I made an aborted attempt to replace the power jack on my STF 8300, which is having chronic issues with the power connection. In the end, as suggested before, I spread the pins in the connector, which may have again (probably temporarily) helped things out. Technically if I could get to the circuit board I could have put on a new jack, but I did not get that far. May be just as well....I was unable to remove the cooling unit to free the circuit board, and put everything together again. The camera took a photo on testing. I did unscrew the black plug with the O ring and replaced it. Would that affect the cooling ability? At some point I might need to send it in for a new power jack.

Peter Bresler

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Peter, this does not sound good. These cameras are complex, precisely made, have special seals, and the electronics etc not user-serviceable. If you don't know what the dessicant plug is for, you shouldn't be attempting this.
    I suggest you arrange to send the camera to Bill for repair. Contact Bill (at) SBIG (dot) com
    The desiccant plug is designed to dry out the chamber and eliminate humidity/frost/ice. There is a procedure in the manual for how to recharge the desiccant.

3. Peter Bresler

I am quite sure the camera was reassembled as before, as as I said imaging was functional, power was on. Does the dessicant plug need to be serviced because it was removed for a short period of time, although it may be due for it.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If it's been over a year since the last time you baked the desiccant plug, I'd suggest you do so. It's best to tape over the hole or insert a dummy plug or spare to keep dust out. Then remove the o-ring carefully before baking.

5. Peter Bresler

Its done. Everything appears good.

Attached Files:

Tim Povlick likes this.
  6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, good to know.