Problem with CCDOPS 5.5 / 5.6

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Joe Garlitz, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Joe Garlitz

Joe Garlitz Standard User

After several years (4) using the CCDops 5.5 with the GPS timer, it has stopped running. I think it was after I ran the SBIG driver checker. CCDops will freeze when the GPS module tries to write the satellite info.

I bought a new GPS unit thinking that was the problem, but the program still does not operate.

Everything is normal with no satellite data.

I get "Fix --- invalid"
    "Press Start/Sync again"

I can repeat this indefinitely ----

But when there is satellite data to write, in the 'Status' window I see:

"Updating GPS data . . . ."

At this point the program freezes, and I must use Task Manager to close the program.

It was working one day but not the next. The only thing I can point to is that I ran the "Driver Updater.exe".

So now, trying to fix the problem I uninstalled CCDops and reinstalled ver 5.66 nt-1
    This did not help, it just made things worse.

Same thing happens with the GPS function as before, but now if I click on "Setup" the program will freeze.

I can click the "establish link" icon, or click "focus" and the camera will connect and run as it should. the program still freezes if the GPS tries to write or if I click on "Setup"

I have an SBIG402me, using an HP Compaq with MS XP-pro 32 bit OS.

Joe Garlitz
    Elgin, OR

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Joe,
    Are you using a Garmin GPS-18x USB GPS, and if so, do you know what firmware version it is?
    I think if you run the latest CCDOps it tells you the version if it finds the GPS. e.g. 2.60, 2.70 something like that.

Am thinking it is either that there is something different with the newer Garmin units, it's their firmware, or that there is some message coming from the GPS that CCDOps is not handling correctly.
    Once I have your info on the GPS, will pass it along to our developers.

3. Joe Garlitz

Colin,

I have 2 GPS Garmin receivers. I bought the 2nd one thinking that the original was faulty.
    The CCDops freezes with either unit

They are both Garmin 18x usb. The original is version 2.60. The replacement is version 2.70.

I have the same problem with either CCDops 5.55 and 5.66

Joe

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok thanks for the information.

I can confirm that I see 5.66 hang with "updating gps..." using a GPS 18X USB 2.70 firmware on Windows 10 64bit.

This is going to take some time to resolve - I will pass the info to one of our developers, and get him this GPS to test with.
    There's a GPS week number rollover coming on April 6, so it could be after that before we have a software fix.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Joe, my work colleague @Adam Robichaud will have my GPS later this week. After that he will have to schedule it in to test and then see what is going on in the code.
    I'm sure you and I both find this odd, as it used to work.
    When did you first notice the problem? (please if you can be specific) - what changed on your setup?
    Am wondering if this is a Microsoft Update, or a driver update or something with the GPS data stream coming down from the satellites.

6. Joe Garlitz

"When did you first notice the problem? (please if you can be specific) - what changed on your setup?
    Am wondering if this is a Microsoft Update, or a driver update or something with the GPS data stream coming down from the satellites."

I generally do not do Microsoft updates. With XP I have MS auto updates turned off. The only thing I can think of was I ran SBIGdriverchecker. I cannot say for sure that this was done before or after the GPS problem. I have had weeks of clouds, so was not using the camera, but did fiddle with the software.

Also please note; after updating from 5.55 to 5.66, using CCDops, I can no longer set the camera temperature. When I click on "Setup" the program freezes just like with the GPS issue. I can connect to the camera by clicking on the "Establish Link" icon or by clicking of "Focus". Once the link is established the camera works EXCEPT clicking "Setup" still kills the program. If it ain't broke DON'T break it <|;^(

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Joe, just so you are aware, this is in the queue - not forgotten.