Problems with autoguiding

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Gabe Formicone, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Gabe Formicone

Gabe Formicone Standard User

Hello
    I am a demo user with unfortunately just a couple of nights left after having spent more than week trying to get the auto-guiding calibration going.

I can control my 12” LX200GPS on a fork mount with a wedge in polar alignment through the Observatory Control, and it works fine. I can slew the scope pretty much where I want it to go. I can take picture with my Apogee. However, I have not been able to calibrate my Orion G3 mono ccd as a guider through an 80mm F5 (400mm focal length) refractor.

I had errors with the star moving less than 5 pixels, so as I read in the manual I have increased the Cal Time to 30s, 40s up to the maximum 60s. Still unsuccessful.
    I can easily do everything in PHD2, in less than 5 minutes. But more than a week effort in Maxim DL is still fruitless. I would like to use Maxim DL as it easily control my Apogee Alta camera for doing some photometry, but I am stuck.

Any help? Thank you
    Gabe

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What do you have Control Via set to?

3. Gabe Formicone

guider relays

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Do you have a cable from the camera to the guide port on the mount?

Go to Guide tab / Move and trigger the mount to move in each of the four directions. Look with an eyepiece and see if the telescopes moves.

If it does not the guide cable may not be correct. They can be assembled in two different connector orientations - if it is wrong it will not work.

Consider using Control Via = Telescope, and connect to the LX200 via the Observatory Control Window.

5. Gabe Formicone

Well, the G3 cc camera has a telephone like cable that goes into the autoguider in the LX200GPS mount, and a USB that goes to the computer.
    The LX200 mount has a different serial to USB converted cable that goes from the mount to the same computer, through a hub.
    Guiding with PHD2 works so the hardware must be ok.
    And yes, when I move the mount the scope moves; i can see it through the camera taking looping / continuous pictures.
    So, MaxinDL somehow does not like the settings with the guider relays.
    I changed it to Telescope and it seems to be alive. I was able to calibrate and I am trying out a few things.
    upload_2020-6-10_22-52-41.png

I may have to practice with it a little more and I will probably be able to improve tracking accuracy.
    Thank you Doug. Much appreciated.

6. Gabe Formicone

Doug,
    is there a way to extend the demo license by a week till I flush out the remaining issues with auto-guiding?
    I also have issue with stacking. I can easily stack pics taken with Maxim DL (lights, darks, bias and flats) in DeepSkyStaker, but when I try staking in Maxim it overlaps all the pictures rather than aligning them before overlaying them -maybe I need to spend more time...
    I saw in some other posts that some other user did ask for an extension, I am not sure it was granted, but I am asking anyway.
    Thanks

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes we can extend your demo by another month. Send me a private message and I will respond with a new license

8. Gabe Formicone

ok. thank you

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I've sent you a new trial license via private message.

10. Gabe Formicone

ok. thank you