Problems with new Drivers?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Jim Morse, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Jim Morse

Jim Morse Cyanogen Customer

Hi folks,

I have my STF8300m and 8 position FW attached to a Takahashi e130D astrograph and, until last night, it has given me some of my best images. Last night, however, it simply could not record anything in detail. Best was an extremely faded image of the trapezium but even with a 5 minute iteration using my lum filter I recorded almost no stars in M44 and I got nothing on various tries with nebulosity or Galaxy clusters (both before and after the moon set). Even tried a 10 minute lum shot of the M84 region after the moon set but only a whisper of signal. Previously, with the fast f3.3 optics of the e130D I could get great images with subframes as small as 90 seconds for star fields, nebulosity and galaxies. Clearly something is amiss.

Only things I changed from my last session (back in late Oct since the weather in Houston had been terrible) was to update MaximDL from version 6.07 to 6.08 and to update all the SBIG drivers using the driver checker to the new 2015 set. I don't think it was Maxim since my STi guider worked just fine, finding clear stars fields for guiding at 3 seconds even with the moon up. Of course, at first the STF8300 seemed fine too since it recorded stars for mount alignment and focusing, but even that failed later. Only thing I seemed to be able to record were cosmic ray strikes which whatever is going on, we're not affected.

Has anyone else had problems with the driver updates or is it time to send the 8300 for a check-up?

Thanks,

Jim Morse

2. Jim Morse

Hi folks,

I have my STF8300m and 8 position FW attached to a Takahashi e130D astrograph and, until last night, it has given me some of my best images. Last night, however, it simply could not record anything in detail. Best was an extremely faded image of the trapezium but even with a 5 minute iteration using my lum filter I recorded almost no stars in M44 and I got nothing on various tries with nebulosity or Galaxy clusters (both before and after the moon set). Even tried a 10 minute lum shot of the M84 region after the moon set but only a whisper of signal. Previously, with the fast f3.3 optics of the e130D I could get great images with subframes as small as 90 seconds for star fields, nebulosity and galaxies. Clearly something is amiss.

Only things I changed from my last session (back in late Oct since the weather in Houston had been terrible) was to update MaximDL from version 6.07 to 6.08 and to update all the SBIG drivers using the driver checker to the new 2015 set. I don't think it was Maxim since my STi guider worked just fine, finding clear stars fields for guiding at 3 seconds even with the moon up. Of course, at first the STF8300 seemed fine too since it recorded stars for mount alignment and focusing, but even that failed later. Only thing I seemed to be able to record were cosmic ray strikes which whatever is going on, we're not affected.

Has anyone else had problems with the driver updates or is it time to send the 8300 for a check-up?

Posted this here and in General since not sure which to use for this report. Thanks,

Jim Morse

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

First check visually whether the shutter and filter wheel are operating normally.

Also run a dark frame and compare to a previous dark frame at the same temperature. They should be very similar (i.e. they should subtract out).

4. Jim Morse

Doug,

Looks like its the shutter. No matter the length of the image, the shutter flicks open very briefly twice at the beginning, then shuts and stays shut. So it looks like either there is a glitch in the new drivers or I need to send the unit in for repairs. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but that had no impact.

Can you confirm what my next step should be?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  5. Jim Morse

Doug,

I tried a couple of other tests. First, I tried an image using Nebulosity 3 for image capture and the same thing happened so its not MaximDL. Next I tested with my back-up computer where I had not yet updated the SBIG drivers and again, the same thing happened so not the updates. Looks like its the CCD itself so What do I do to arrange to send it in for servicing?

Thanks,

Jim

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member