QHY Cameras and Drivers

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Sean, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sean

Sean Cyanogen Customer

I have a couple of questions about using QHY cameras with Maxim, wondering if anybody is using these and were able to work around the issues I am having.

I am currently using the QHY163M CMOS, and QHY5III178M guide camera. Using the latest ASCOM drivers from QHYCCD, I have the 163M set as Capture in the ASCOM drivers and QHY5III set as Guide.

1. Problem one, is I can't seem to expose (i.e. guide) from both cameras at the same time, if I try to expose the guide camera while the capture camera is exposing, the software will lock up "Reading from CCD" once the exposure is finished. I will have to close down Maxim, and unplug the cameras to get them working again?

2. The other problem, which I am not 100% sure about. But the manual says the QHY163M has a electronic shutter, but I don't see any options for the shutter in the drivers and Maxim doesn't seem to detect that a shutter is available and wants me to manually cover the camera when exposing darks?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like more QHYCCD driver software bugs - there are a lot of issues with those cameras.
    I suggest you contact them for assistance.
    Here's a couple of thoughts:

What version of MaxIm are you running? Current version is 6.20.
    1. Won't expose at the same time. This sounds like a driver problem.
    In MaxIm, you could try changing the Threading options for both the camera and guider. Try turning them on.
    Note that there is a similar options under the guide camera, do that one too.
    cameraoptions.png

2. Electronic shutter - Electronic shutter means that the camera can erase the pixels on board, do an exposure, and then stop exposing.
    It is not the same as performing a CCD Dark Frame where you do a long exposure with the camera sensor covered to find any weak/dead/warm pixels.
    This is one of the big problems with these CMOS sensor cameras. They are hard to calibrate and find the bad pixels.

You can work around this in MaxIm.
    On the Expose tab there is an Options [>] Button, make sure you select No Calibration - eg that you have turned off the "Simple Autodark" option.
    Same thing on the Guide tab.
    nocalibration.png

If you want to do a real calibration, you'll need a shutter or a dark cover for the scope. For the main camera, if you have a filter wheel, you can set up a blank position with a solid plug (cover) and then set it up as a shutter. That won't work for the guider, but will make up for the lack of a shutter.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    Cheers
    Colin

3. Sean

Sean Cyanogen Customer

Looks like enabling the threading option works, at least on my desktop. Still need to try on my Laptop that use for actual image capturing. But it has worked better on the desktop with threading options enabled.

I posted the same question to QHYCCD forums, and was notified by QHYCCD that they are looking into it and will supply an update if they are able to find a problem. So thats good to know.

Thank you for the help.