Recommendations for New Computers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mike Hambrick, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

My current laptop is almost 8 years old. Other than the battery, it is still doing OK, but I need to start thinking about replacing it. I have always found that Colin's IT related advice to be sound, and I would like to get your recommendations on what hardware and software features a new laptop should have.

I have noticed that the new laptops that are currently on the market do not have many of the features that we need for astronomy. I have seen many laptops with only one or two USB ports, and many of them don't even have ethernet ports anymore.

I will typically run at least one camera, but there have been many occasions where I have run two simultaneously (Always using MaxIm DL-Pro). All of my cameras (STXL16200, ST2000, STi) connect to the computer via USB cables. I normally connect the mount to my laptop (APCC) using the ethernet cable, but I can also use a USB cable if needed. I prefer not to use wireless for making any of these connections.

I also have a motorized focuser (Focuser Boss) that connects to the laptop via USB.

If I also include the mouse, I need at least four USB ports, and an ethernet port on a laptop. to run all of this equipment. Are the various laptop manufacturers pretty flexible in building systems to suit customer needs ? If not, how does one go about getting a computer with all of these hardware requirements ?

Any comments and recommendations will be appreciated.

Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

@Colin Haig is on vacation. He'll be back Tuesday.

Personally I use a Primaluce Eagle 4 Pro. Not a laptop but a dedicated control computer that rides on the OTA. Really excellent product.

3. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Doug.

For the time being I have to do all of my mount & camera control, guiding, imaging, and image processing on my personal laptop, but I will look into the Primaluse as a possible future investment.

Mike