Regeneration of desiccant - how to open the container ..

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Kalpesh Jasapara, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Kalpesh Jasapara

Kalpesh Jasapara Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

Hope you are all doing well. Thank you so much for your help.
    I have been taking bias and darks for calibration using the maxim dl with the Aluma 8300 for a few weeks.
    I just got around to start taking flats (have not calibrated the exposure yet), please see attached .fit file.

At -20˚C I Observe that there are some artifacts, perhaps some frost formation. Later I verified that at zero-degrees I do not see the same. I have opened the Aluma only once to attach the fw8g-aluma and not since. With the attached fit file can you please confirm if it is frost ?

If so, according to the "C-2 Regenerating the desiccant", of the manual it suggests I need to regenerate it. I am unable to "open" the container from the camera body. Turning 90 degrees is not helpful. Is force needed to pull it out of the camera body?

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, kindly assist.

with regards,
    -Kalpesh

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes a bit of force is required, as the O-ring can be very tight.

Make sure the slot is vertical, and pull!

3. Kalpesh Jasapara

Hello Doug,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes some slight additional force was required to pull it out, thanks.

But I am surprised, I see only the container and no O-ring, perhaps that explains the frost.
    I did have it facing downwards as suggested in the document while taking the container out.

Can you please send me the specification of the O-ring, something I can pickup from a local hardware store?

with regards,
    -Kalpesh

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

5. Kalpesh Jasapara

Hello Doug,

Thanks again for a prompt reply.

My bad. You are right. I was incorrectly expecting in the outer cavity, see attached.

Let me remove the o-ring and go ahead with regeneration of the desiccant, will update here in case I have problems with the frost again.
    While the container is removed I have kept the camera in a closed container with a few large camera-use-desiccant packs, hopefully that will help too.

with regards,
    -Kalpesh

Attached Files:

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The outer groove is part of the locking mechanism.

Not a bad idea to store the camera with desiccant. But also important to keep it in a dust-free environment.