[RESOLVED] Can't get new ST-i to connect

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Michael Magras, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Michael Magras

Michael Magras Standard User

Searched forum, my problem sounds similar to a thread called "can't install sti on w7pro", but actions suggested there did not help. would appreciate your help in getting the camera to connect.

Configuration: new (according to seller) ST-i mono guide camera, serial number 11797. Computer is a recent Dell laptop with Intel Core i7 processor running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

In preparation, and before I started, I read the ST-i Op Manual v1.0, which I downloaded from your site, and also downloaded and read the pdf “Installing SBIG 64 Bit Drivers on Windows 7”. I followed the instructions in those two documents for initial driver install. I did not connect the camera to the computer until completing all steps per the instructions, as follows:

I downloaded the most current Driver Checker from your website, v 4.01 B1, which was newer than the v3.x on the CD that came with the camera, and used it to install the drivers per the instructions. It downloaded the most current drivers from your website, and then installation went according to what is pictured in the instructions. Driver Checker reported a successful installation and listed the installed drivers.

I connected the camera using the provided 15-foot USB cable to a USB 3.0 port on the laptop, and the “Found New Hardware” wizard completed successfully as pictured in the installation instructions.

Then I ran PHD2 v2.6.0. I selected “SBIG” from the camera drop-down selection list and hit the camera pixel size “Detect” button. There was a click from the camera (noise from the shutter?) and the green activity light on the camera flashed a few times and then was steadily illuminated, but immediately PHD reported the errors “Cannot open SBIG camera: Code 27” and “Cannot connect to camera.” I disconnected the camera and rebooted the computer and tried connecting with PHD2 again, same result / errors.

I unplugged the camera from the USB 3 port and plugged it into a USB 2 port. “Found New Hardware” ran again and completed successfully. Then I tried PHD again and got the same errors.

I Goggled this problem and one person suggested the cable might be bad or too long, so I got a three foot mini USB cable and tried that, same problem. Also suggested problem might be power; the laptop is plugged in and I believe the USB ports are capable of 500ma.

I went back to the Driver Checker and clicked on the Firmware tab, then clicked the “Get FW version from Camera” button. Once again, the camera clicked and the green light was either steady on or flashing, and got the error “Could not establish link to camera.”

I then used Driver Checker to Remove the drivers, and then reinstalled them, then went thru all the above again, no change, same errors.

I hope you’ve heard of this before and that there is a simple answer, I’m all ears!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please try it with CCDOPS and see if you get the same problem. It's hard for us to diagnose with third party software.

3. Michael Magras

Hi Doug,

Downloaded and installed CCDOps Version 5.57 B3-NT from SBIG website. Followed instructions in ST-i manual pp. 15-16 to connect camera using menu - Camera - Establish Com Link. Camera green light is on, heard one click, immediately received the error message "No camera can be found..." (see attached screenshot of error window).

Mike

Attached Files:

4. Michael Magras

Doug, I just removed the drivers, uninstalled DriverChecker64, reinstalled DriverChecker64 (with "Properties" Run as Administrator checked), downloaded the drivers and re-installed them, reconnected the camera, unfortunately got same result: when camera is plugged in, its green light come on, and when I try to connect, camera clicks once but is not recognized by either DriverChecker or CCDOps. Attached is a screenshot of the DriverChecker error window.

What's next?

I appreciate your help,

Mike

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Try operating the camera through a powered USB hub. It sounds like your computer port may not be capable of sourcing the full 500 mA required to run the ST-I (the USB spec requires this... but not all computers do it properly). Also make sure you're using the USB cable that came with the camera. If you use a cable that has thin power wires (many do) then the camera may not get enough power.

6. Michael Magras

Hi Doug, I think you solved it. I didn't have a powered USB hub, so instead loaded drivers & PHD2 on my desktop and the camera connected and makes images!

Since I can't guide from here in my office, I ordered a powered hub for out at the telescope!

Thank you for your assistance,

Mike

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Great news! Enjoy the camera.