Rotator Advice

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by John Cangelosi, Jun 8, 2023.

1. John Cangelosi

John Cangelosi Standard User

Hello, I have an STF-8300M, FW8 Filter wheel, and a StarChaser 2 OAG, FeatherTouch Focuser (says it's rotator compatible) with Starlight Electronic Focusing system.
    I'd like to purchase a rotator and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you!

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What scope do you have? Adding a rotator eats a fair bit of backfocus distance.
    Personally, I like products from Optec, Inc. https://optecinc.us/
    and a few folks have the Moonlite units: https://focuser.com/
    If you have a large scope like a PlaneWave, you can't beat their offerings.

3. John Cangelosi

The scope is a 12" Newtonian with a FL of 2440 mm. The observatory is in a high school and the scope was actually made by a former teacher here. Are there any other details that could determine if it could accommodate a rotator? Thanks!

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You need to know how far back the focal plane is from the mechanical innermost position of the focuser, then determine if this it will all fit.
    I've done part of the calculation for you:
    Code:
    Equipment    Select Model (click to select)    Backfocus, Inch    Backfocus, mm
    Camera Model    STF-8300    0.656    16.7

Filter Wheel adds    FW8-8300    0.745    18.9

Filter adds    2 mm thick filter    0.026    0.7

Guider adds    StarChaser SC-2    0.800    20.3

Adaptive Optics adds    No AO    0.000    0.0

Accesory Plate adds    No adapter plate (bolt directly to camera)    0.000    0.0

Total Backfocus        2.227    56.6

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's a bit more info:
    From the above calculation, the camera package uses 56.6mm of backfocus distance. And for easy math, let's pretend there is an adapter between the front of it and the focuser draw tube that is 3.4mm (just for easy math) = 60mm total
    Let's say that the focal plane is 150mm from the top of the focuser when the draw tube is fully retracted. So the draw tube has to come out 150- 60 = 90mm to bring the camera to focus.
    If you add a rotator, like an Optec Pyxis that is 41mm thick, then you are fine, as 90-41 = 59mm.
    However, if the focuser travel or focal plane don't go far enough (eg 100mm focal plane, means 100-60 = 40, and 41mm rotator, then you are in negative territory, and it can't come to focus. You are out of back focus distance by 1 mm.
    So the solution becomes more work - eg buy a focuser/rotator and replace the one that is there; or move the position of the secondary mirror and focuser to get more back focus distance, which may require a larger secondary and so on.
    I'm not making this hard, just trying to explain what's involve.

6. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

I've used the Pyxis (excellent) and I now have a Pegasus Astro Falcon rotator. It only uses ~ 21mm of backfocus, uses M54 threaded connections.
    Both options are excellent and it often comes down to how much space you have.

Colin Haig likes this.
  7. John Cangelosi

Great- thanks for the info. For my current budget I'm leaning toward the Pegasus- are the M54 threaded connections right for the SBIG connection?

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You'll need an adapter of some sort.

John Cangelosi likes this.
  9. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

The Falcon Rotator comes with a M54 to M48 adapter. If your camera use a different thread you'll need an adapter. M54 is a common thread so you should be able to find an adapter , if not, Precise Parts can make one.

10. John Cangelosi

Thank you!