Saving Centroid Information

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Don, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Don

Don Cyanogen Customer

I want to pick some stars in an image, then when I center the cursor at each star, use another keystroke to save all the information (centroid position, pixel values, etc) in a file that I can read with Excel. That way, I'll have a file of 10 to 20 carefully selected stars in a file that I can work with. This seems simple enough, but I don't know how to get started. Has anyone done something similar, or have some advice? - THANKS

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Double-click the mouse to lock the circular cursor on the star.

Mouse over to the Information window, and use it to select all the text in the window. Hit CTRL-C to copy to clipboard. Paste into notepad or Excel or whatever.

3. Don

Don Cyanogen Customer

Thanks, Doug, but that is not quite what I need. Since I am doing dozens of stars, copying and pasting is pretty slow, and the information does not appear in nice columns. Worse yet, the centroid pastes as text, with the format something like "(X=234.355, Y=45.243)". I am hoping that there is some easier way to record this window. I'll be doing this for a few hundred frames, so I'd prefer something a little more automated. Any other suggestions?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Probably the best solution would be to write a script.

5. Don

Don Cyanogen Customer

OK, I just upgraded to MaximDL 6, and am looking at the Scripting chapter. I was hoping someone had already done this, but I'll give it a try. I also see that Pinpoint-full version might have similar information, so I'll download that, too.

6. Don

Don Cyanogen Customer

OK, I looked at the MaximDL manual section on Scripting, and its all Greek to me! It appears something like CalcInformation is what I need, but that is all I can understand. Can you help me?

I am planning on repeating the 1919 experiment that made Einstein famous; measuring the gravitational deflection of stars during the 2017 eclipse. I need very precise star (~0.01 pixel) positions from my camera, so I am not sure I can trust an automated Pinpoint procedure. I need to look at every star in closeup; luckily there won't be too many, even in the calibration frames I will start next month.

I am preparing to give presentations at a number of amateur conferences, as well as a feature article in Sky and Telescope, followed by a refereed journal article. I know of no other individual or group that has a realistic chance at this very difficult experiment. If you can supply me the scripts I need, I will be happy to acknowledge your contributions in my presentations and articles. If you want to discuss this off-line, I can give you a lot more details on the planning and my analysis. - Thanks.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's cool. We don't provide programming services for scripts, but there ARE a bunch of example scripts on our web site at http://www.cyanogen.com/maxim_extras.php - they will give you the idea of what you can do with it.

8. Don

Don Cyanogen Customer

OK, I'll try again to understand the examples. If there are any other amateur astronomers out there with scripting experience, I'll be happy to work with them and acknowledge them, too!

9. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    Don - You probably want to program/script the PinPoint engine directly. The LE/free one in MaxIm is limited. The full engine is designed to provide just what you want (and with some fine points you may not yet have considered). Feel free to contact me at +1 480 396 9700 business hours. Leave voice mail if I don't pick up.