SBIG driver: device not found

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Pete (Herbert) Peterson, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Pete (Herbert) Peterson

Pete (Herbert) Peterson Standard User

After mounting an old DSI camera onto a piggyback scope and reloading the old Meade camera software into the observatory computer, the SBIG ST-8XME on the 14" will no longer connect.

CCDOps 5 gives a message "No camera could be found. Please make sure it is connected to the correct port and that the Graphics/Comm command in the MISC pulldown is setup correctly." (It's set to the USB interface and hadn't been changed.)

CCDSoft gives a message: SBIG Driver: device not found Error code: 1027 (ov4o3)

Running the SBIG driver checker utility I've got Sbigudrv.dll 4.74 build 7 02-01-12 current

Obviously the SBIG camera software no longer sees the camera. It may have lost track of the driver. Or perhaps things went sour when the DSI software attempted to reinstall the Microsoft.Net Framwork. If necessary I've no problem deleting the DSI software as that was a one-time attempt to get a wide field for C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy.

I've experienced this problem once or twice before and someone at SBIG was able to give me a fairly straightforward and simple fix. So rather than stumble around randomly reloading software could someone please give me a clue as to how to get back in business on the main ST-8XME camera?

Pete Peterson
    Wishing Star Observatory I15

2. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Pete,
    It looks you have very old sbig driver installed on your system, so please
    download and run a new SetupDriverChecker64 from Sbig web page.
    This is not enough to just press Download and Update buttons in your current
    SbigDriverChecker64, you really need download new driver installer and run it.
    Jan

3. Pete (Herbert) Peterson

Neglected to say this is a Win X
    Hi Jan,

I hadn't mentioned that the observatory computer's an 8-year old 32bit machine running Win XP. The camera had been working just a few days previous. Since the SetupDriverChecker64 has a caution that
    1) I'll be losing the current possibly working and appropriate drivers
    2) this is not a straight-forward implementation
    and since the pdf instructions for the changeover (which are supposed to be found at http://ftp.sbig.com/pdffiles/Installing64bitUSB.pdf) don't seem to be there, I figured it best to double check with you before jumping off into the deep end.

Thanks ,

Pete

4. Jan Soldan

Pete,
    I understand you very well and I do not want do destroy your setup, so check your sbig driver with Device Manager to see it such a driver is there and reported this is working. Otherwise, it is impossible to say, where the problem is...
    I can only confirm, that the latest SBIBDriverChecker64 works on Windows XP, I did my last tests yesterday with the STL-6k3 camera and that installation of the newest driver is nothing else than running its installer - SetupDriverChecker64.exe. On the other hand I can not guarantee that new installation will solve this problem.
    Sorry, I cannot give a better answer.
    Jan

5. Pete (Herbert) Peterson

Hi Jan,

Thanks for understanding my timidity. Actually, with XP one opens the Control Panel and views what's loaded under different categories such as Printers/Faxes and Sounds/Audio Devices or Scanners/Cameras. I've got a number of devices in Printers/Faxes and in Audio Devices but the Scanners/Cameras folder is EMPTY.

Do you think it possible that I can simply open the Control Panel, click Add Hardware, and reinstall the old driver from my 2009 SBIG disk?

Oh yes, thought the Meade setup was supposed to update Microsoft's .NET Framework but my .NET Framework's version 1.1 from 2008.

Also, if necessary to bite the DriverChecker64 bullet, do I need access to that pdf file?

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Pete

6. Jan Soldan

Pete,
    to see if your SBIG driver is successfully installed, please follow the next few steps:
    - open Control Panel
    - select Printers and Other Hardware
    - select System to see a new dialog windows with tabs
    - select Hardware tab, then press Device Manager button
    - if sbig driver is properly installed on your system, you should see "SBIG USB Devices" item listed there and if you open it,
    there should be "SBIG USB-64 Camera With Firmware" item, which means, your camera was properly detected and should work

- if you do not see the "SBIG USB Devices" item there, look at "Other Devices" marked with the yellow question mark to see if one of
    its "Unknown Devices" is not your camera. If so, your driver wasn't installed properly for some reason and you have to try it
    again.

Also, you do not need the PDF file to install your driver.
    Jan

7. Pete (Herbert) Peterson

Thank you very much Jan. It’s up and running, but it took me 2 nights to do it.

The original driver may have been version 2.0.1.1 dated 1/16/2005 as early in my struggle that’s what was running. Figuring that there had been some important changes to the drivers since 2005, SetupDriverChecker64 was downloaded to the XP machine, and I selected the option to remove the older, classic, driver software that might cause incompatibility. So far so good. Checking with Windows Explorer, the proper files loaded to the proper addresses.

While I knew this was a 32-bit system there was some confusion regarding whether my 2009 SBIG ST-8XME was “Pro” or “Classic”. After trying the wrong combinations I eventually got “Classic” and “SBIG USB camera with firmware”. It works. Driver version 2.41.0.2 from Jan 2011.

FWIW, part of the problem was that the Read Me directions on the latest Driver Checker are complex enough that they need to be printed. And they won’t print and won’t copy so that they can be printed. Eventually I wound up doing a print screen a couple of times to capture them.

Again, thanks.

Pete Peterson I15

8. Jan Soldan

Ufff, I am glad, it works.
    Jan

9. John Hodge

John Hodge Standard User

I have had the same problem using XP and an SBIG XCM-4000. The SBIG driver checker says that all is current, but the device manager occasionally can't find a file (something like a usbe.sys file). I previously could manually install the file (every few uses), but then now the camera will not work on two separate computers where it previously worked flawlessly. This has been a black hole in terms of time. Several times, I resent the machine to an earlier restore point and the camera worked. It connects, is recognized, but will not work due to the sorry drivers. I have resorted to my trusty DSLR camera in the interim, but I'd like to get this fixed.

From what I read above, it sounds like I need to download the 64bit drivers to my 32 bit XP machine. Any ideas? Thanks.

10. Jan Soldan

John,
    maybe the name of the installer "SetupDriverChecker64.exe" is a bit misleading, but it should install the DriverChecker64.exe on your Win XP 32 bit properly.
    So, this installer works on both 32 and 64 bit Windows. On the other hand, it would be probably better to use a newer Windows version, than XP.
    Jan

11. Jan Soldan

John,
    maybe, message below could be usefull for you. There was some problems with the proper driver installation of ST-4000 recently, reported by
    Howard C. Anderson (support@azcendant.com). Based on help provided by Matt Longmire, author of the driver of this camera, Horward
    was able to solve problems with his ST-4000. So, here is his recepies:

Here is the workaround that works on both 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems:
    1. Use SBIGDriverChecker64 Version 4.00 Build 10
      and download and update the drivers.
    2. Hit the Config Drv button.
    3. Hit the Select ST Model.
    4. Choose "My ST is a Pro Model with the RGH Connector"
      even though my camera is actually a "Classic Model
      without the RGH connector."
    5. Update the drivers to ensure that sbigpcam.hex is the 2.46 version
    6. Then to go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename
      sbigucam.hex to sbigucam_x.hex and rename sbigpcam.hex
      to sbigucam.hex
    7. Power down then power up the camera.
    8. The correct information has now been uploaded to the
      camera and it works properly!
    9. Use the Device Manager and double-click on "SBIG
      USB Camera with Firmware" which is under "SBIG USB
      Devices" to bring up the properties window and look
      under "Details", "Hardware Ids", to see that it has the
      correct information "USB\VID_0D97&PID_0101&REV_0002"
      instead of the incorrect "USB\VID_0D97&PID_0101&REV_0001"
      which shows if you don't do this workaround.
    Thank you all VERY MUCH.
    Howard
    http://www.astroshow.com

Please let us know, if this solved the problem with your ST-4K.
    Thank you,
    Jan