Resolved SBIG driver: error 27

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Pete Peterson, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Pete Peterson

Pete Peterson Standard User

Here we go again, 2 years later. But a bit more educated from the 1st round.

Running CCDSoft ver 5.00.210 I can't connect to the SBIG ST-8XME camera. Getting error message "SBIG driver: device not found Error Code 1027"

But running CCDOps version 5.57 build 3-NT I can connect to the camera.

This is a 32 bit desktop running Win XP and the system device manager confirms that the camera's connected and functioning using SBIG driver version 2.41.0.2 (which is what I've been running for 2 years now).

I'd had the camera off the scope for 6 weeks while teaching a course in backyard astronomy, and after remounting the ST8 the CCDOps wouldn't run. I'm 76 years old now and not as adroit with software as I used to be. My best guess for a fix is to delete and reload CCDSoft. I'm hesitant to do so as I do astrometry and the software's linked to The Sky 6 - plus there are a number of other CCDSoft settings in that that I might loose.

Could anyone please either confirm the desirability of deleting and reloading CCDSoft or taking some other action?

Thanks so much,

Pete

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Do NOT reinstall CCDSoft. It is unlikely to be the cause.

Error 27 is an error related to driver installation.

When you plug in the camera, does it appear in the Windows Device Manager? What does it show up as?

3. Pete Peterson

Hi Doug,

First, thanks for the response. This is Win XP, and under the Windows Device Manager I show "SBIG USB devices". Branching down shows "SBIG USB Camera with Firmware" Rather than text, here are some screen shots
    [​IMG]

The next level down in "driver":
    [​IMG]

And going all the way down using the 'UPDATE DRIVER button to see what's actually loaded on the PC we get:
    [​IMG]

.... with apparently, the selected driver highlighted. What's puzzling is that the camera runs in CCDOps but not in CCDSoft.

Pete

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There might be an out-of-date version of sbigudrv.dll in the CCDSoft folder.

First step: Download and run the SBIG Driver Checker. ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

5. Pete Peterson

I've tried that already but repeated with no joy. Here's the re-downloaded screen:

[​IMG]
    The driverchecker did ask that I delete 4 obsolete drivers and I gave it permission. But powering up the camera, same result:
    [​IMG]

Going through the System/hardware/driver info the driver's unchanged from what was shown above. And this driver now being used is the same one that has been working for me right along. Puzzlement.

Can still connect with CCDOps. Here's the camera info from the connection:
    [​IMG]

If the driver were bad, why would the camera connect with CCDOps but not CCDSoft?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Maybe CCDSoft can't find the correct sbigudrv.dll. Is there a copy of sbigdrv.dll in the CCDSoft program folder?

7. Pete Peterson

Hi Doug,

Searching the SBIG folder, there's a no copy of sbigdrv.dll. And it's not visible in the original camera software either. And while I back up my data drive and also have a computer restore disk for the whole setup, a windows search of the external backup hard drive doesn't find sbigdrv.dll either. Got a number of sbigudrv.dll showing but no luck on the sbigdrv.dll

Watcha think? Please?

Pete

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There should be a copy of sbigudrv.dll in C:\Windows\System. That's where the software should pick it up. If CCDSoft isn't doing that, try copying the DLL over into the program folder.

If that doesn't help, please delete it again. I hate having extra copies floating around on the computer. They get out of date and muck things up.

9. Pete Peterson

Not so good. The sbigudrv.dll was indeed in C:\Windows\System. Copied it into the CCDSoft Version 5 / Camera Drivers folder. And that didn't work. Copied it into the main folder containing the CCDsoft.exe file. That didn't work either. Subsequently removed both, leaving the original in System. Wasn't it the sbigdrv.dll file that you said we were looking for, and not the sbigudrv.dll? For what its worth the camera still connects using CCDOps.

Sorry to cause you all this trouble Doug, but really appreciate the support.

Pete

10. Pete Peterson

Addendum - the file sbigudrv.dll does exist in the CCDOps5 folder and CCDOps is, as noted, running.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately it’s very hard to provide support for someone else’s software. If it’s working in CCDOPS then there is nothing wrong with the camera or drivers.

Are you sure all the settings in CCDSoft are correct? Maybe ask over on the Software Bisque forums.

12. Pete Peterson

The CCDSoft settings remain unchanged from when I'd removed the camera. This problem has popped up a couple of times. I do greatly appreciate your support on this. Very impressed actually. Going onto the Bisque forum is logical. But before doing that, do you think that deleting and reloading CCDSoft is a the logical next step?

Pete

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can try that. But in the real world uninstall/reinstall rarely helps, and sometimes makes things worse.

14. Pete Peterson

Still hung up on this Doug. Did not reinstall yet, and awaiting response on Software Bisque user group. But it's time to start thinking about alternatives. CCDSoft is no longer supported at Bisque so I may or may not get an answer or solution.

Can't really afford Maxim DL, but can't afford a replacement camera even more (less?). Who should I speak with at Defraction Ltd?

My setup is for astrometry, and the highly sensitive ST-8XME with an AO8 and without filters works pretty well on my Meade 14". Got about 1.7 arc-seconds per pixel. Current software's integrated with The Sky 6 (which does not play well with other ASCOM devices, but does put coordinates onto the .TIF images and does automatically adjust motion for the AO). While the camera's imaging I load the .TIF files into Astrometrica and run the astrometry.

The observatory computer has an internet connection. I'd like to be able to use Guide 9 ASCOM computer controls for slewing to an asteroid. Can't do that with CCDSoft as either Guide or SSCSoft will abort. Having a plate solve and refine pointing capability would be super neat too as go-to capability isn't all that precise and I lose several minutes making fine alignment manually.

What do you think? Is there someone over there who I can best discuss this with?

Pete

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What are you wanting to discuss? Software options or hardware options?

Tim Puckett is always a good place to start...

16. Pete Peterson

Software. Maxim DL maybe. Can't afford hardware. See previous a 2nd time. Seems to me I talked with Tim a few years back at NEAF. Will follow up with him in January.

Pete

17. Pete Peterson

Hi Doug,

PROBLEM SOLVED. Just getting some closure here.

After being down for 2 full months things were getting pretty desperate. My current setup (dual chip ST-8XME high sensitivity chip and AO8) (CCDSoft tied into The Sky 6 Pro) is optimized for astrometry with my Meade 14" LX200GPS. After detailed study, newer software from several different sources appears to be both unaffordable and, for astrometry, cumbersome. (Although I'm enamored with Maxum DL's Pinpoint I was unable to contact Tim Puckett and didn't see where the software would guide with my dual chip camera and AO8.) Studied Bisque's newer replacement software and it didn't seem user friendly for my application.)

My son played with the setup this past weekend and got CCDSoft working again for me. The solution was to go into CCDSoft/Camera Control/Settings/Interface Settings. The camera was set on USB interface.

SBIGscreenshot7.jpg

This is where it's always been set to the best of my knowledge. By selecting USB2 for the interface CCDSoft once again sees the camera.

Thank you very much for your considerable effort in assisting me with this problem.

Pete

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay thanks for letting us know. Might be handy next time...