SBIG Drivers for macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Discussion in 'General' started by doncarona, Oct 12, 2019.

1. doncarona

doncarona Standard User

Greetings,

Any word on when a new driver installer will be ready for macOS 10.15 (Catalina)? Since Catalina runs on a dedicated read-only system, vendors aren't allowed to write kernel extensions to "/System/Library/Extensions" any longer...probably have to write to "/Library/Extensions" now. I'm upgrading two of our observatories, but don't want to install Catalina on the TCS servers unless you have a new driver installer ready for download.

Best Regards,
    Don

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Don,
    Thanks for reaching out. This is an issue we are actively tracking. I would recommend against upgrading to Catalina - far too many applications aren't ready for it, and a large number of hardware devices from many manufacturers will be unsupportable on it.

Which SBIG cameras do you have?

The reason I ask is that certain older models are unsupportable do to circumstances beyond our control - decisions made by Apple and by Cypress Semiconductor, maker of a critical interface USB component in certain SBIG models.
    The Aluma series cameras have a whole new architecture, and a driver update to the 64bit Catalina 10.15 looks viable.
    The (STX, STXL, STF) may be doable, but we're waiting for things to stabilize with MacOS.

3. doncarona

doncarona Standard User

Thanks for the quick response Colin! I'm sure there are others out there wondering the same thing and you've answered perfectly. We have just about every SBIG camera except one from the Aluma series and I'm looking at one of those now. I'm in no rush to upgrade as I have 8 observatories to manage. I actually keep most of our TCS computers on High Sierra with a couple on Mojave. There are some real issues running IRAF on Catalina; so, I'll likely not perform any upgrades to the latest OS until things stabilize since IRAF is in my data pipeline. I did have some minor luck last night running an ST-i and an STF-8300 from Catalina using the current driver set with a manual install. Too many pitfalls, but it was fun to try. The weather here was cold and rainy and I had nothing better to do. I look forward to seeing how things progress. Best -Don

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If you have STTs, they may work. The ST and STL probably wont as the Cypress device has to upload firmware and configuration and then re-enumerate itself as a new USB device with a new VID and PID on the bus, and this just isnt going to work since Apple took away Kext and certain other so-called security fixes went in.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Let me restate that - the ST-i may work, I meant like the ST-7XME through ST-2000XME family.

6. Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury Standard User

Any update on this? Also, I'd be looking for the STT drivers. I know the camera is discontinued, but the drivers are universal between the STF and STT I thought. Specifically I have the STT-8300 w/ FW8 & OAG plus the AO unit.

Roy

7. Roy Salisbury

Roy Salisbury Standard User

Can you share some info on how you did the manual install on Catalina? I can give that a try as well.

Roy

8. stephen.tate

stephen.tate Standard User

Dear Whoever -- this is now critical Apple have started to push 10.15 this to a wider audience are you saying that anybody who has a camera older than STF model such ST-8300 series is out of luck and may as well throw out the camera ? don't think this is on really. you can argue that its just future development, but lets be honest many of your cameras are consumer used and X,000 dollars spent just to throw away not good for customer service.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Our first goal is to ensure that all modern hardware, such as STT, STX, STXL, and STF, will work on Catalina.

Unfortunately for older hardware such as the ST series it isn't within our ability to solve the problem. Apple has made it impossible to initialize hardware that is based on older Cypress chipsets. Cypress used to use a "re-numeration" scheme to download the firmware into the Cypress chip, which then rebooted and reconnected with a new personality. Cypress has moved away from this technology so they aren't porting it to new operating systems. This affects many different types of hardware, the most common example being printers.

These older camera still operate in Linux or Windows. It's not the ideal solution but you can run the camera via Boot Camp, VMWare, etc.

Another less-than-ideal solution would be to use a Raspberry Pi or similar to initialize the camera, then plug it into the Mac. Or use BootCamp just to initialize the camera and then go back to MacOS.

10. Stanley Fertig

Stanley Fertig Cyanogen Customer

OK, so when do you expect you might have a new driver for the STF? Is this staffed? Is there an ETA? I'd like to be able to use my camera again...
    Thanks,
    stan in Brooklyn