SBIG Remote Guide Head Model STT/STXL-- not ST-i

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by rockenrock, Nov 2, 2017.

1. rockenrock

rockenrock Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    Kind of a general advice question here...
    I have this remote guide head several years and never used it since I have the FW8G-STT self guiding filter wheel with AO-8T. I was looking at the guide head today, and notice you can look in one end and see the CCD. OK. Then the question is how do you use this is a remote guide head without any lens? Just attach it to the side of your OTA and point it at the sky? I am not asking how to connect the cables. I know it runs off the HDMI cable to the STT8300.
    This seems like it could be a nice little 16 bit planetary camera if it had optics. Can it be used this way by removing the STT8300M, adapting it to the filter wheel, adjusting the focus of my OTA, and downloading subframes?
    Thanks,
    Roger

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Roger - you put it where the eyepiece would go in a small telescope, or buy the kit with the 100mm lens and mounting hardware.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

4. rockenrock

rockenrock Cyanogen Customer

OK, so if I have a small telescope, then the camera, as I have it, should work, or I can buy the st-i guiding kit. Interesting.
    Someday I may make an adaptor and screw on the camera to the filter wheel, put the STT8300M nearby with the HDMI cable between them...
    This little 16bit camera should make a pretty good planetary cam at my FL of 2000mm. I just never could get motivated by adapting an 8bit web cam, although others have nice planetary shots!
    Roger