SBIG ST-i guiding camera died

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by jjjstc, Oct 10, 2016.

1. jjjstc

jjjstc Standard User

Hi,

My SBIG ST-i guiding camera suddenly died last night when it was guiding. The computer could still see this camera, but there was no image downloaded or refreshed. I initially thought that this might be due to USB power voltage drop, so I switched to another fully charged laptop but still could not get any images. I also used another USB cable, but still could not fix the problem. I updated the firmware and driver today, the problem is still there ... I guess that this is probably a hardware problem.

Do you know what is the problem with my ST-i camera? How can I fix it?

Thanks very much.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Have you tried using CCDOPS or some other software to see if it will talk to the camera?

When you say no image downloaded or refreshed, can you be more specific? e.g. steps to reproduce, what you did exactly. What software was used for guiding.

3. jjjstc

jjjstc Standard User

Yes, I tried in both PHD2 and Nebulosity 3. Both can connect to the camera, but no images were downloaded, or the images were blank (purely black with intensity zero).

It was working well when I used it to guide in PHD2. It had been working for one hour with no problem until a very bright meteor fireball lighted up the night sky. I don't mean these two events were related :) I then returned to my laptop to check the guiding, and found no guiding stars in PHD2.

I have contacted SBIG support team, and will send it to them for repair.