1. Chuck_e

Chuck_e Cyanogen Customer

Am I correct that you no longer make the SC-3 Long and now only make the short version?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Correct. We can probably do -LONG as a special order, provided we still have parts. They were mostly needed for the STX-series cameras with the FW7-STX filter wheels.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

My quick check suggests that it should be possible to build 10 more SC-3-LONG. We aren't stocking them but can build them as a special-order item.

(Note: we're currently out of stock on StarChaser circuit boards. It will probably be ~2 months before we can build more.)

4. Chuck_e

Thanks for the update. I realized that I made a mistake in the calculations for my proposed stack and I can actually use the short version. It' s good to know that if necessary I could have a long one made.

Now all I have to do is actually find a SC-3. They seem to be out of stock everywhere. I imagine it is due to the circuit board stock issue you mentioned.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We're not aware of any stock available at our dealers.

Though you don't hear as much about supply chain issues these days, the global electronics industry is still in really bad shape. Some critical parts are still on a 16 month lead time, and a lot of the rest are anywhere from 8 to 52 weeks - and the dates keep changing. You need to have all of the parts to build a board, and it's extremely hard to get all of them to arrive when you need them. Sometimes a little patience is unfortunately required.

6. Chuck_e

So are we looking at a year or more lead time?

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, but it may be 2 months.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Chuck - the supply chain lady is off this week, and she'll provide us an update when she's back.

9. Chuck_e

2 months is fine. A year and I would probably be looking at a different camera. Thanks.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Oh gosh, we never said anything about a year!! No, its a matter of weeks.
    If you'd like to go ahead, please place an order for an SC3 through the web store, and in the comment field when you go to check out, note the "Special Order: SC-3E-LONG".
    https://diffractionlimited.com/product/sbig-starchaser/
    Your credit card will not be charged until it's time to ship it, and this will reserve your space in the queue.

11. Chuck_e

Wondering how I electronically connect the SC-3 to AO-x. Do I need a StarChaser/Aluma CCD/STC to DB9 Adapter Cable?

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'll make sure the cable is included in your order.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Chuck, I checked the order, and it does include this cable:
    StarChaser/Aluma CCD/STC to DB9 Adapter Cables - DIN9 to Female DB9 (AO-X / AFW) (#11044)
    at no extra charge.

14. Chuck_e

Ok. Thanks. I didn't see it mentioned in either the SC-3 or AO-X manuals.

15. Chuck_e

Hi, Finally have some good weather and I am trying to focus the SC3. I have moved the focus as far as I can counterclockwise and it doesn't quite reach focus. Which way do I need to move the prism to extend the focus range in that direction.

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

For SC-3, counterclockwise = focus is all the way in. Therefore moving the mirror outwards from the optical axis should shorten the distance to the sensor. You shouldn't have to move it very far.

17. Chuck_e

Thanks for the info. I think I have the guider focused now. At least if looks focused. It's hard to tell since the seeing has been poor lately.

I have some more questions. I was working on drive and image calibration and am seeing some odd results. I am running v6.40. Windows is current as of today.

First, I am using a 22" telescope and a 9.5m star through a luminance filter. With 1 1 secod exposure the brightness was showing as 281 in the AO window. This seems really low. With my old ST10 this star would have been 30,000 or more. Is this a change to the way brightness is displayed with the SC-3?

Next, I was playing with the AO calibration. The calibration lines are displaying at about 45 degrees in the AO window as you can see from the attachment. It seems odd unless the AO works at 45 degrees to its housing. Also, I ended up with three lines in approximately the same direction fanned out from a single point. That does not look right. There were no error messages so I assume MDL thinks it worked? Drive calibration in the AO window and Guide calibration in the Guide tab both look normal.

Another odd thing I noticed is that with bin1 the stars have higher values in the AO window than they do in the Information window by over 100%. Is that correct?

Sorry about using a Doc file. My Notepad didn't want to work with the screen shot.

Attached Files:

18. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The SC-3 is 10-bit, so has a range from 0-1023; a value of 281 would be equivalent to 281 * 2^6 = 281 * 64 = 17,984 on a 16-bit CCD. So that's in the ballpark of what the ST10 would have seen.

The weird line position for calibration looks like a it might possibly be a bug in our software. We've had 2 other reports of something similar recently, so we have to dig into it.

The AO window does not use the exact same calculation as the Info window.

19. Chuck_e

Good to know about the brightness values. I guess I will have to mentally recalibrate my expections of what makes a good guide star.

20. Chuck_e

While experimenting with the AO calibration I discovered something really interesting.

If I calibrate with Bin2 I get the weird 3 line configuration that shows in the picture I sent you and it dings at the end. If I use Bin1 it seems to calibrate normally with a nice little red cross with the arms at 45 degrees to the frame and no ding. I guess no ding means it worked?

So it seems that binning the AO really messes up the calibration process for whatever reason. I still don't understand the 45 degree issue though. Is that the way it is supposed to work?