SC2 suddenly not working

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Galaxyhunter, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter Cyanogen Customer

My computer can not see the SC2 camera. The "DL Config utility" only sees the STC7 camera.
    Last week when I did the Sky Flats, everything was fine. Sunday evening I went to take some Dark Frames I noticed that in the "Camera2" information window, it was telling me that the Cooler was on. Further checking shows that Camera 1 & 2 displays the same size image (1608 x 1104 ) (STC-7 bin2). The Device Manager shows that the SBIG cameras A & B are grayed out.

What I have checked is:
    1: Checked the USB ports in the Device Manager to make sure they are not turned off.
    2: The green light for the power supply is on for both units.
    3: Swapped the USB camera cables to the ports on the computer.
    4: Swapped power cables to the cameras.
    5: Rebooted the computer.
    6: Unplugged the AO-8A from the SC2

Since Adam got my AO-8 working in the middle of August, This setup has run flawless. Now all of sudden this???

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

As I indicated in the Private Message, the SBIG Camera A and SBIG Camera B are the two halves of the StarChaser SC-2.
    Check the USB cable, AC power cord, the LED light should be on with the AC power supply, and check the USB port on the computer that the SC-2 is is plugged into.
    Likely something has come loose.

3. Galaxyhunter

I reversed the USB cables into the computer, so the USB port that the STC7 was plugged into (that is working) is the port that the SC 2 is now plugged into. I also tried a different USB cable from the SC2 to the computer. Both LED power lights are on. I switched the power cables at the cameras. I checked the pins on the power plug and found none that's bent.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Do you have the AO-8A plugged into the SC-2? Does the LED on the AO-8A come on?

5. Galaxyhunter

I plugged in the Ao-8A. The red LED next to the power co9rd is NOT on.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It is possible to disable the LED with a firmware switch setting. If you didn't do that then it's likely not getting power.

Does the shutter energize when you plug it in? There should be a click.

7. Galaxyhunter

I checked to make sure the light is not disabled. The STC7 itself works. I hear the click roughly 4 to 5 seconds after the power is turned on. The fan starts up and I hear it rotating the filter wheel. It will take images.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Your description isn't entirely clear... does the StarChaser click?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The StarChaser has a small red LED visible through a small hole. If that isn't coming on, then it's the power supply or the DC extension cord.
    You could power everything off, and then connect the STC-7 DC extension cord to the SC-2 instead of the STC-7. They have the same wiring.
    Then power up and see if the SC-2 comes alive.

10. Galaxyhunter

I would have to say no. Yesterday when I was trying to isolated which power supply was powering which camera,
    I plugged in one power supply at a time. The first one started the STC7, the fan starts up, MaximDL sees it & I can take an image.
    I unplug that one & plug in the other, and nothing happens. Maxim sees nothing.

11. Galaxyhunter

I see no LED light. I did try the other power supply, #4 in my first post.

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

To be clear, the power supply plugs into a DC extension cord which plugs into the camera. So, are you saying you changed BOTH power supply and DC extension? Or you tried the power supply directly into the camera without the extension?
    The reason we want to double-check is we have had zero failures of the StarChaser in the field; we have had a couple power supply or extensions break.

13. Galaxyhunter

No, I did not change the extension cord. But logic tells me that if the STC camera has power, and I unplug the cable from the STC camera and then plug it into the SC2, then the SC2 should have power. The plug that was in the SC2, I plugged into the STC, and the STC does power up.
    But I will go out and remove the extension cord(s) to see if that will work.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If that doesn't help then we may have to RMA the StarChaser. It's very odd... we've not have a failure like that before.

15. Galaxyhunter

Okay, I removed the extension cord. Plugged in the power supply into the SC2. Turned the power on, the Green LED comes on and DL Config doesn't see it. View attachment 12269

Attached Files:

16. Galaxyhunter

I'm going to take it apart. I just looked at it appears that the power socket is loose. I assume that I need to send it to the address that is listed in the Appendix D portio0n of the users manual.

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Wow, it would take some force to break the power connector off the board. Did the cable get snagged or something?

19. Galaxyhunter

No, Not snagged. I have the cables running through a wire loom that is supported so there is no tension on any of the connectors (Power, USB). I do have sort of a heavy hand but I always try to be somewhat careful
    with small electrical connectors. I know better then to force items, but obviously I wasn't as gentle as I needed to be. Strange thing is that the SC2 power plug always fit great. It's the STC 7's power socket that from day one, fits so loose that It seems like it's going to fall out.

20. Doug

Doug Staff Member

For the STC-7, the locking device is obviously not engaging. It may be a little tight - try pulling back on the connector backshell a few times - that's the release mechanism. Then push it in again.

The power socket on the StarChaser is very solidly attached to the circuit card. It has two through-hole soldered pins, a plastic alignment pin, and six surface mount connections. That's not going to come loose without some kind of big impact.