SC4 / AOX power connection

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Jdowning, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Jdowning

Jdowning Cyanogen Customer

I’ve been working on integrating the SC4 / AOX with a Moravian C3 / Moravian filter wheel. The custom mechanical adapter I designed makes the SC4 and C3 close to parfocal (close enough for guiding). That assembly is complete. The SC4 uses a mini-DIN 6 connector for 12vdc power with three pins on one side positive and the other 3 pins negative. I’d like to power the SC4/AOX with an OTA mounted Pegasus UPBv2. This switch box uses more standard 5x5x2.1 connections for power output (up to 3 amps per output). This makes for a much neater installation with one less cable running from the OTA through the mount to the supplied power supply. I can’t find an off the shelf adapter or adapter cable. Do you have any suggestions or comments (like, don’t do this!). Otherwise, I guess I’ll have to build my own. Thanks for your support.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You will have to build something custom.

Please note there is a risk of damaging your camera and your computer if you wire it incorrectly. The camera is protected against reverse power input, but it's impossible to protect against a direct short circuit from 12V to ground. You can catch any mistake before it destroys your equipment with a simple test procedure.

Since this comes up a lot, I have created an FAQ:

https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/building-custom-power-cables.10099/