Second Imaging Camera

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Horst Ziegler, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Horst Ziegler

Horst Ziegler Cyanogen Customer

I would like to connect to a second Imaging DSLR camera on the same Mount to do synchronized Imaging with 2 cameras. One for Imaging LRGB and one for Imaging narrow band. Both with the same FoV.

I can do that offline with remote shutter control and sync via Remote Shutter Release (LacertaRSRQ). But to allow dithering I would like to use my MaximDL procedures (and not CCD Commander on 2 Computers or offline MGEN)

Is there a script available to connect a second DSLR via USB and then sync Imaging with both cameras?

Thanks
    Horst

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Maybe.

If you have a scriptable device that can trigger a DSLR, then you could write a script to start exposures in MaxIm DL and trigger the DSLR at close to the same time.

If you are not autoguiding, then you could possibly connect one camera as "main" and one camera as "autoguider", and use a script to trigger both exposures at close to the same time.

3. Horst Ziegler

I found a program "DigiCamControl", which offers simultaneously exposure with 2 or more DSLR Cams with USB connection. I am not experienced in writing scripts. Is it possible to call this external program instead of internal Maxim imaging with main camera?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That would depend entirely on the third party program, which I have no information on.

5. Horst Ziegler

I just wanted to know, how I can initiate an external program via script on the event of imaging with the main camera. For this question you need not to know the third Party program. If there is no standard solution in MaximDL, I should switch to APT or to MGEN where the synchronous imaging with different cameras is no problem. I am disappointed about your answers.

6. Horst Ziegler

I cannot belive, that I am the only one who would like to use MaximDL for synchronous imaging with 2 cameras on 1 mount and 1 Laptop. I used CCDCommander, but this program uses 2 instances on 2 computers. Not practicable in the field.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Horst, you can run 2 instances of MaxIm as well. Use the File... Configurations to have a second configuration set for the second instance.

Why are you trying to synchronize the two cameras?
    Are you trying to trigger at same instant (eg trigger shutter operation simultanesouly)?
    Or synchronize the settings between cameras such as exposure length, aperture, ISO, etc?

What cameras are you using, are they with camera lenses or on telescopes?

8. Horst Ziegler

Colin,
    I have 2 image trains on my CGEM II. Canon 6Da on Skywatcher Esprit 80/400 with Optolong LPro for RGB images and Canon 77Da on WhiteCat 51/250 with Optolong L'eNhance for narrowband images. Both telescope with motorized Feather Touch Focusing Systems. I want to do parallel imaging with both setups including dithering, so they need to be absolutely synchronized. The goal ist to save time by this approach, esp. because both setups have the same FoV and are mounted parallel on the optical axis. The Images are stacked and combined later on with PixInsight and PS. The third camera on the bottom is a Canon50D with EOS 16-35 which can be userd for milkyway Images. Here 2 images of the Setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Regards Horst

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks Horst. Very helpful.
    Is it safe to assume that the narrowband exposure length is substantially longer than the RGB in your setup? Can you give me an idea of the exposure times?

10. Horst Ziegler

Colin,
    if I don't dither, the exposure time of narrowband can be multiple of RGB (f.i. RGB 3min, Narrowband 10min), if I dither, exposure time must be the same (f.i 5min each). I have tested with Remote Shutter Release and LacertaRSRQ (Optokoppler) and both cameras in Bulb Mode 360 secs
    I am just testing DigiCamControl whre both cameras are synchronized via USB.

11. Horst Ziegler

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019