Resolved SG-3 Short /AC4040 FOV

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Mark Manner, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Mark Manner

Mark Manner Cyanogen Customer

Hi, I have an SG-3short and AC4040. I need to build an accurate FOV in TheSkyX for the system. I have a placeholder setup that is correct for the main AC4040 imaging chip, and has the correct SC-3 chip, but I do not know how far from the main chip the SG-3 chip is. In the past I've used trial and error when building an FOV for an off-axis guider, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has one built already? I realize that where in the light path you have the pick-off mirror affects this, but a starting point that someone else uses won't hurt. If I don't get an answer, I'll post mine for what it is worth after I figure it out. Currently, my inputs for the SBIG ACt4040 and SC-3Short are:

SC-3: size x-axis 6.2mm y-axis 5.0mm
    offset x-axis 0 y-axis 26.0mm
    Element 3 circle diameter: 47.25mm
    Element 4 circle diameter: 57.25mm

Element 3 and 4, and the y-axis offset for the SC-3 are the ones that I do not know at this point. The numbers I am using create an FOV shown in the attached document.

Thanks,
    Mark

Attached Files:

• FOV.jpg
      FOV.jpg
      File size:
      191.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes that can be a bit hard to figure out. I typically use the moon to find the approximate relative position of the two chips. It's a nice big target!

Once you know the approximate positioning of the two chips, you can measure the spacing using the mount nudge controls. Just put a star on the edge of the guide chip, and then see how much of a nudge is needed to bring it to the edge of the main chip.

3. Mark Manner

Thanks Doug, I'll grab the moon when it is next around conveniently!

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Mark, another possibility is to set up MaxIm's capability to do Analyze... PinPoint Astrometry. You'll need a star catalog, such as UCAC4. Then you find an area of sky with enough stars to get a few on the guide chip and main chip. Take an image of both, platesolve both. It's not easy, but it's pretty accurate.

5. Mark Manner

Hi Colin, I have done that in the past, although I recall having some difficulty in getting a good plate solve on the guider chip. I'll give that a try tonight as the Moon seems to not be around right now. It is always in the way when we don't want it, and I guess never here when we do.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Venus may be far enough from the Sun right now to be usable.

Mark Manner likes this.
  7. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

I point my scope at a large open cluster such as M35 or M11 to get a good plate solve on my guide chip, that usually works for me.

Mark Manner likes this.
  8. Mark Manner

Hi, the crescent moon helped me find the right side, and then some trial and error with the moon and then stars resulted in a successful FOV creation in TheSkyX. In case it helps anyone else, attached is a montage of TheSkyX fov screens showing the inputs used for my setup. This may be of some help. Also include a pic of the camera so you can see how the SC-3 is oriented with respect to the AC4040 (necessary to get the side correct).
    Best,
    Mark fov.jpg ac4040.sc3.jpg

Colin Haig and Tim Povlick like this.