SM-1 STi runs for awhile and then gives error=8

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Dan Crowson, May 4, 2022.

1. Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson Standard User

I'm trying to use a new to me SBIG SM-1 Seeing Monitor. The device captures images for a few hours and then stops giving images. The Seeing Monitor Client (v 2.05) program grabbing the images will pause for a bit after taking an image, with a status of "Readout in progress." Once complete, it doesn't show an image. When I look on the RPi that the ST-i is connected to, it shows:

... doSbigGrabImage SEVERE: doSbigGrabImage: sbigReadoutLine: SBIG_ERROR{error=8}

Looking for advice on what to look into to get past this. Is this a camera issue, cable (using the original 6" or so one) or?

Rebooting the device fixes it for a few hours but it has never made it through a night.

Dan

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Dan,
    I think what you have is NOT an SBIG Seeing Monitor, but a product made by another company with a bit of a confusing name.
    The original SBIG Seeing Monitor was made around 2006+, and the software was version 1.2.3.
    I think what you have is a Santa Barbara Scientific SM-1.
    A former employee set up a company called Santa Barbara Scientific, and his day job is working for QHYCCD.
    Please contact them for assistance.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I believe the original version of Santa Barbara Scientific's seeing monitor did use an ST-I inside the seeing monitor. However, you should first contact Santa Barbara Scientific for technical support, as we don't have full information on their product.

4. Dan Crowson

This one does definitely have the ST-i. I was hoping someone could tell me what error=8 means from the SBIG driver?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

6. Dan Crowson

Unfortunately, this is a RPi running linux...

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

In that case, I'll have to refer you to SBS.