Software with new camera?

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by mike shade, May 9, 2020.

1. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

It might be time for a new camera...STX16803/SC3 star chaser guider/FW7-STX filter wheel. Will my old but still works fine version of MaximDL-5.18 run this setup, with the newest drivers? I really do not want to get into all new software if it can be avoided. Still a Windows 7 system.

Thanks

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

New SBIG cameras now come with MaxIm LT included.

If you have an existing V5 or V6 MaxIm DL Pro license, we can swap LT for an updated subscription for Pro. Just be sure to ask us before you register for your LT license.

3. mike shade

So to be clear, my existing version of 5.18 pro will or will not run the new hardware, assuming drivers are up to date? Not interested in updating as current setup is stable and works fine, hence if 5.18 will run it, then that would be the preferred option.

Thanks,

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The DL Imaging driver installer includes the MaxIm DL plug-in. It should work okay, but of course we haven't actually tested it on older versions of MaxIm DL.

5. mike shade

OK, thank you. I assume the the driver checker will not find and install the plug in? What is the DL imaging driver installer? Is that part of of LT or is that something different? I am currently running an older STL6303E camera with 5.18, works fine.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The SBIG Universal Drivers (installed using SBIGDriverChecker) were the second generation of drivers released by SBIG. They support ST-, STF-, STT-, STXL- and STX-series cameras. They're now over 18 years old - and they were based on the even older 1st generation drivers. They work well but their architecture is very obsolete and they had become increasingly difficult to extend to new models.

As a result a few years back we decided to transition over to a new generation of drivers, which we called "DL Imaging". These drivers support Aluma, StarChaser, and the upcoming Aluma AC (Advanced CMOS) and STC camera series. DL Imaging drivers also have ASCOM interfaces, which makes it easier for new applications to access them.

The Windows version of the driver is available here: https://diffractionlimited.com/down/SetupDLAPI.exe - it will install both the DL Imaging plug-in for MaxIm DL and the ASCOM interface.

7. mike shade

Sounds easy enough...After this, hopefully the earlier version (5.18) ought to see and work with the camera/guider. Anything else I would have to do? It has been some time since I have installed a new camera, the STL6303E has been on the system for years. I would assume the manual ought to have how to get the camera/guider/filter wheel up and running after the driver is installed.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member