ST-2000 problem (was Maxim problem)

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Phillip Holmes, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Phillip Holmes

Phillip Holmes Cyanogen Customer

Can anyone help with this. I have a ST-2000XM camera. I am having problems with the image in Maxim DL6. attached is photo with black lines in it taken in maxim. The other photo is taken in PHD2 which is clear of the lines. Any help would be great. These photos are pointed at the same thing and taken minutes apart.
    If it where a power problem you would think I would get it in both photos. Not just in maxim. It makes me think it a driver issue with the USB connection. I have tryed different cables. But still get the black lines in maxim. Maxim camera setup connection is Sbig universal and connect to ST-2K.
    In PHD camera setup connects to Sbig and USB.

Attached Files:

2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hi Phillip.

Just another MaxIm customer replying....

First thing is to update and run the SBIG driver checker while MaxIm and any other capture software is not open but the camera is connected and powered up, ensure your installed drivers and camera firmware are up to date, you can download the latest driver checker here:

SBIG Driver Checker (Windows)

If the download link above does not work go to the support page below and scroll down to the section "USB Port Cameras" and click the link for SBIG Driver Checker64 (Windows).

http://diffractionlimited.com/support/sbig-archives/

After running the checker and updating drivers if necessary open MaxIm and confirm if it still shows the problem, if so, take an image and save it in .fit format then close MaxIm, next go to your user "Documents" folder and look for the MaxIm DL 6 config folder, zip up the entire folder and reply to the post with both the .zip file and the image .fit file attached.

In your reply confirm which OS version and which MaxIm version you are using i.e. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1703 build 15063.540 and MaxIm v6.14.
    ( You can find the Windows version details in Windows 10 by going to the settings page and click on "About")

William.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  3. William B

P.S. Phillip,

For full MaxIm technical support you need to register your MaxIm serial number, to do this go to the link below and complete the registration form under the section "Customer Verification" your user status will change from "Standard User" to Cyanogen Customer", then you will be entitled to full MaxIm support.

http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/pages/TechSupportHowTo/

William.

4. Phillip Holmes

hi there. thanks for the reply. i am running windows 8.1 64bit and the latest vision of maxim dl6 i think i have uploaded the right folder.
    the fits file is taken inside. the image is not of a star field.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. William B

Hi Phillip.

I don't know the ST2000XM model and will leave the Diffraction staff to diagnose the problem properly but one thing I notice looking at the .fit header is that the image was acquired in "RAW" mode and in your settings screen shot you were using the focus preset with the "raw" setting showing in the readout mode window but greyed out and not deselect-able, I'm not certain but I thought RAW was only applicable to colour cameras but perhaps your camera is a colour camera?.

Anyhow, rather than waste a lot of your time unnecessarily there is one quick thing to try, it might be that your settings folder is corrupted so with MaxIm not running go to your "Documents" folder and temporarily rename the entire MaxIm DL 6 folder to Old_Maxim DL 6, then start up MaxIm again, a new MaxIm config folder will be created automatically with a clean configuration.
    Now configure the camera type again and connect, use the *LRGB preset in the expose control tab and take an image, does this fix the problem?

If not, you can go back to your old configuration again by shutting down MaxIm and deleting the "new" MaxIm DL 6 folder in your "Documents" and then rename Old_MaxIm DL 6 back to plain old MaxIm DL 6, now start up MaxIm again and your original set up will be restored.

Post back your findings and one of the Diffraction staff will be along to help.

William.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please upload a FITS image showing the symptoms. It's hard to tell anything from a picture of the screen.

7. William B

He has already Doug, see post #4 for a fits image and the zipped settings folder.
    William

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay, I missed that.

That sort of "jail bars" appearance usually results from either excessive overexposure or improper adjustment of the CCD sensor's substrate bias. (It can also result from improper clock voltages; it's a relative voltage relationship between the substrate and the clocks.) I can't explain how it would be different on two pieces of software.

What does it do in CCDOPS?

9. Phillip Holmes

Thanks for your reply.
    I attached how the camera is connected in maxim. Raw is all i can pick.
    I did lower my exposure to .1 sec and got a better result. (attach fits file below)

Attached Files:

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What happens if you do a 10 second exposure in PhD?

11. Phillip Holmes

Inside the house I get the black lines. Yet to put it on a scope and see what happens. PHD automatically chooses the guide chip which works.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Oh, that's rather misleading then.

I suspect your camera has an internal power supply issue affecting only the main chip, and not the guide sensor. They do use different voltages.

13. Phillip Holmes

still not fixed.
    .1 sec i get a clean image. .2 i get black lines.
    it is the same for the guide chip in maxim.

Attached Files:

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please try some images in CCDOPS. I expect you'll see the same thing.

It looks to me like your camera needs service.

15. Phillip Holmes

CCOPS I get the same thing.

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Right. It's a hardware problem.

Please contact Bill @ Service.

17. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I agree with Doug.
    "That sort of "jail bars" appearance usually results from either excessive overexposure or improper adjustment of the CCD sensor's substrate bias. (It can also result from improper clock voltages; it's a relative voltage relationship between the substrate and the clocks.) I can't explain how it would be different on two pieces of software."

I'm guessing this is a somewhat older camera? What's the serial number? The Guide Chip images look normal for the ccd used there (TC-237) when they're seeing too much light. How those images are related to the Imaging ccd in this situation is that both ccd's look overexposed.
    If the camera is not as old as I think it is, then the shutter perhaps. Maybe it's behaving correctly in one software and not the other, hard to know but the bad images look very saturated.

-Bill

18. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'll point out that the main CCD appears to be saturating well short of 65,535 - less than half - which is why I think there's a voltage problem.

Guide chip dimensions are 657 x 495. Consistent with TC-237. Definitely older camera.

19. Phillip Holmes

If it is a voltage problem. Is there anything I can do to fix this. Or better of getting a new camer.

20. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, this would be a problem with one of the internal components. Spare components are an issue for cameras this old, but Bill may still be able to fix it.