ST-402ME all zeros image

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by KJMB, Jun 8, 2016.

1. KJMB

KJMB Standard User

I just received a used St-402ME that was checked out by the owner prior to shipment using Maxim-DL and reported to image correctly.
    Upon receiving the camera I downloaded CCDOps and the Driver Checker and installed them on an NT based computer. Communication with the camera was fine. I could control the temperature, the filter wheel, and when I commanded an exposure I could see the filter wheel move the correct filter in position. This worked for all exposure lengths I tried.

The issue is that any image I take (e.g. a dark frame only) results in an image with all pixel values exactly at 0.

I then installed CCDOps Lite on my mac. Same result, I can control the filter wheel, get camera status and information, and also control temperature, but all images are all zeros.

Can anyone help?

Jim

2. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Jim,
    this usually happens when the driver is badly installed. This type of camera downloads its firmware into its memory every time it starts, so it looks like one part of the driver was probably not downloaded, I do not remember its name, but extension is bin.
    You can operate your camera, but image is zero. I will check filename tomorrow.

BTW, what is NT based computer? Are you talking about Windows NT ?
    If yes, change your OS please...
    jan

3. KJMB

KJMB Standard User

It is a windows NT based computer. I have tried other configurations:
    1. Windows NT computer with CCDOps and driver. All camera controls (camera information, filter wheel control, temperature control, shutter control) function but I get an image of all zeros.
    2. Windows NT computer with an older driver provided by Tim Puckett. Same behavior.
    3. OS-X on a Macbook Pro, running CCDOps Lite. Same behavior.
    4. OS-X running the Sky X with camera plug in. Same behavior.

The Sky X would be independent of the drivers loaded for CCDOps.

I am coming to the conclusion this is a hardware problem, since I have tried several different configurations, on two separate commuters, and somewhat independent software in using the Sky X.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Without meaning to be a jerk, windows NT support ended about 12 years ago if memory serves me.... wow nice to hear the old beast is still out there.

Chris Anderson likes this.
  5. KJMB

KJMB Standard User

NT is definitely a bit long on the tooth. Amazing I can run the latest version of The Sky-X on the Beast for my telescope control.
    Jim

6. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Jim,
    I think that the stfga.bin - gate array file is missing in your camera, but of course, I cannot be 100% sure.
    In any case, I would try that camera on newer OS, just to see it it works.
    Regards,
    Jan