ST-7A won't connect

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Hermit, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

Downloaded the demo of the program and zilch, nada nothing simply would not even acknowledge a camera being there. Tested the ports and when I has the XP box running (HD crashed) it worked fine.

Plug it in, power it up open the program and away we go as Jackie Gleason used to say. Now it si speaking some language the computer and the camera don't carry on a conversation well.

Any suggestions would be great. tried most every type of swap, adapters, USB, cables, re-installing the drivers compatibility mode and so on and son , well you folks get the meaning.

I am just about ready to make this a fancy techie looking book end. I called tech support and bill said to email someone else Adam? well sent the email and waiting on a response. Windows seems to want digitally signed drivers and it is extremely serious on that point. SBIG's driver don't need no stinking digital signature....

Cheers
    Hermit

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Adam is on vacation (which is an example of why we prefer prople use the support forum).

ST7A is parallel port, I believe?

3. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

Yes and according to Windows 7 it requires a digitial signed driver which SBIG does not supply nor intends to do so. The software I downloaded refuses to recognize the Parallel port which is working with other devices. I was told by Bill yesterday he no longer has parts nor can fix the ST-7A any longer. He referred me over to Adam via email and I sent one off with nothing yet back from him.

I looked over the forum already and didn't find anything to provide a solution, a work around or other method to fix the issue.

It must be me but it used to be when a company sold a product it did the technical assistance and tech support not sending folks over to a forum to fend and weave through the posts to sort out a issue with their products. I guess today it is once relased let the buying public sort it out and beta test and then debug the issues.

Not trying to sound harsh but it is frustrating when the device was working and will work on an XP machine (which I no longer have nor can assemble) yet won't work on a Win 7 machine even though the boxes are identical otherwise. It is a driver issue as the hardware works with other devices.

I have had this computer checked thoroughly and the hardware is fine, the cables are new and work, so it is a software issue. I tried yesterday a demo of Maxim DL and it didn't work but I did manage to do alitle with my Canon 6D so I might have to use that for a while until the real long term camera issue is sorted out.

At this point I am open to suggestions but a bit frustrated at the way SBIG has left all of us who bought products over the years to tread water and treat these devices that were the TTOL when new as if they were basically gum wrappers today. IF that is true and I hope not then it was the most expensive gum wrapper I ever bought.

Cheers
    Hermit

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can't and won't hear back from Adam. As I said he is on vacation. He's 1,000 miles from here and enjoying his well-earned time off.

We're not "sending you over to a forum". This is our SUPPORT forum, the place where we provide technical support to our customers. We don't recommend using email because you may send it to the wrong person, e.g. someone who is out of town for two weeks.

I think you'll find our support for obsolete products is better than most companies, but you are talking about a camera model that is over 14 years old!

All of the parts used to build those cameras are no longer made, so we can't get replacements. The software platforms used back then are not compatible with modern operating systems, and we don't have 15 year old computers that still work, so we can't maintain the drivers. Microsoft has long since deprecated support for parallel ports in Windows.

The simplest way forward is to find a way to run XP, which is the last version of Windows that fully supported parallel port interfaces. Microsoft's operating system license agreements do allow you to run an older version. There may be some way to run the parallel port camera under Windows 7, but if so I'm not aware of it.

5. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

Well thank you for the prompt response. I understand a "simple" install of windows XP PRO with the service packs might help resolve the issue but I don't have that software any longer and all my old back up refused to load when I had to replace the crashed hard drive. so that being that is not an option right now due to the fact as I stated in my response to you prior to this one I don't have a way to install, re-install or put Windows XP,XP Pro or the service packs on this current computer.

I hope that will answer you as to why I am unable to use XP. The company can if it wanted to issue a driver set to run under current software but it chooses not to do it, I asked and was told that.

The age of the device is not and should not be an issue. the device when sold was touted so highly one would have thought it was being sold as a replacement for that newly released modern commodity Sliced Bread.

Seriously, the fact the company simply passes an end user around to be told what they can't do and I know with the vast number of devices SBIG has sold over the years I m not along. There is nothing wrong with the hardware it is a driver issue that could be easily written and given a digital signature along with the other necessary software released by SBIG to work on all their previous models. The cost of these little monsters were far in excess of others at the time and with the dual cameras serving as Guide Scope and imaging made one nice package.

I have read that others have figured out a way to use these devices under Win 7, 8, 8.1 and may have even been successful with 10.

The major issue is the manufacturer is not interested in providing simple updates to the thousands of customers over the years who want to just use what they spent serious money for and should be able to do so. so to read that they aren't interested in doing so now brings up the question as to what do I consider as my next product purchase when I add to my equipment inventory?

Well now I have been given a very valid reason to look at competition product lines due to the fact this well built and functional device is possibly obsolete due to support failure of the manufacturer. i don't have the source code and am unable to re-write the software to update the drivers. If I had perhaps I could or someone with more experience and knowledge would be able to do it and then the cameras over the last 14 years would and could be used. It would be a benefit to the company to their loyal customer base and provide incentive to others in their choices in buying the more expensive cameras for their needs.

Perhaps my comments might not be to your liking but this thing was not cheap and simply needing a driver to use it is ridiculous that it isn't available and the company's attitude toward a person asking for it is also a bit lacking in true customer base retention. It makes more sense to provide on going support for the following reasons:

1.The product is well built and is the longest lasting device made

2. support is given by the company showing everyone they stand behind their products that command a high price

3. The competition's product and support is challenged and must at least remain even or loose market share,

4. finally supporting an older unit demonstrates to a buyer that they have the finest product and obsolete is something the competition suffers from not this product line.

I hope that help you to understand some additional points.

Please in the future, suggesting something for the poster to do that they had already done or tried and then took the time to write it out for all to read then read a response stating "do this" makes the reader wonder if their earlier psot was read and if so was there a n issue with the Respondent's reading or comprehension skills to miss it? I said I tried it and on a friend's machine it still worked under the original install, but my drive crashed and I wasn't able to reload it or use a back up as it would not work since I didn't have an install disc. i tried to find one and no one had a usable copy.

No offense intended but if you are going to respond to a request please read the person's full post and make sure you understand fully what they asked for as they are usually quite frustrated and don't need to read something they tried and didn't work, which is why they are asking for an alternative way to fix the issue.

Often on forums I find readers wanting to be helpful but often are younger or less experienced than the manufacturer and/or tech support staff which leads to tangential or the threat veers off into another streaming away form the original questions. When I am able to provide assistance, I do so and make sure I have read and comprehended the questions asked and only then venture to offer what I know or have experienced. I appreciate you trying and thanks for doing so.

Bottom line is I am running Windows 7 and need this device to run under the current system so that is what is needed not a return to a system that is unsupported and will be made unusable in less than 18 months, like McIntosh does with their older OS.

If the fix requires more ocde or drivers ot be installed then fine provide it or tell folks that when they are shelling out the hard earned dollars "this equipment will work on these operating systems and should changes or updates be issued by those OS companies will will ignore anything from you with regards to support in the future" then they can add buying our products will cost you more and soon you can replace them with more of our soon to be obsolete shiny new offerings, so what is your credit card number please? It does no good to claim to be the best if you can't or won't stand behind your products and then charge the prices they do for it..

Thanks

6. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

Another point I think that needs to be made is there are tons of Lap Tops, Desk Tops and other configurations of computers with not just the basic number of, but sometimes multiple RS 232 Ports installed and fully functional. All one has to do is scan Craigslist or hit a local Electronics or Ham Radio Swap meet you see stacks of them. Often these are ready to go with software/operating systems still on them or refurbished and ready for a fresh install of what ever the buyer wants.

So there is no shortage of Computers and necessary components to be used as an excuse. I own several Lap Tops and more than a few Desk Tops configured to accept RS 232 cables straight away. I don't know why folks seem to believe cables, computers or hardware is so tough to locate and when you do it is very inexpensive compared to a newer box.

If the USB issue was such a problem then write software so the USB adapters can be used and problem solved.

Cheers
    Hermit

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It is a parallel port interface, not an RS-232 interface. They are very different things. RS-232 is not obsolete, although most computer peripherals use USB these days. Parallel ports are completely obsolete at this point in time.

Here's one potential solution, which reportedly works in 32-bit Windows 7 (it will NOT work in 64-bit Windows 7):

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4...rallel-cameras-run-in-windows-7/#entry5942018

8. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

The link you mention was the person I had emailed regarding their announcement regarding making the parallel ports in a refurbished computer function with a T-5 SBIG camera a few years ago.

I mentioned this earlier in my prior posts, but perhaps it might steer a few others towards Brian an Astronomer in New Mexico. I believe he is the head Astronomer at HUT.

Again my posts are geared toward SBIG and the related entities actually providing support to end users of their products.

Thanks again for your responses but my questions and request has gone unanswered beyond the lack of support and the attitude by the manufacturer to take the necessary steps to provide real support and put out drivers and software that exists and still in use by owners of their products. They can also provide real time tech support to user and provide solid working solutions to the issues one faces when using these high priced devices. Doesn't it seem a bit odd that their competitors provide support for their products regardless of when it was made yet the the apparent leaders in this industry seem to care less and are just concenred when you call in to pitch their latest product to purchase as the "fix" to the existing one. Why is it after spending more than a house mortgage payment an end user can't even get simple driver software that works? The only person who did more than tell me what they can't do was Tim, Bill was polite but if he is the service department then not having parts or being able to update a device that was "built to last" doesn't make any sense to me.

It would be more honest to tell potential buyers that in just a couple of years the products from this company will be obsolete and you will need to find another user to help you get it and keep it working unless of course you are willing to spend thousand more for the next product that will soon go south and due to lack of support no longer usable, then repeat. Hey it would be far easier to just lease a camera and have it replaced at the lease period end and avoid having to find a spot to put another SBIG camera into a Book End placement.

Cheers
    Hermit

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Sorry for sticking my nose in, but as a fellow customer that has owned some SBIG equipment a long time, I've been pretty happy that it has lasted me more than a decade, and SBIG and Diffraction have provided great support over the years. Unfortunately, there is a lifecycle to computers and related technology that is much more rapid than things like cars or washing machines.

The fine folks at Microsoft put everybody into this position when they announced Windows XP was no longer supported. https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/WindowsForBusiness/end-of-xp-support
    and they redesigned the operating systems driver software to prevent access to parallel ports directly - a huge problem for all parallel interfaces.
    SBIG and Diffraction had no choice in the matter - it wasn't their fault, it was Microsoft preventing access to the port.

Plus, the computer makers basically stopped providing parallel port hardware years ago, in favour of USB. Nobody could have predicted how long parallel would last in light of the faster speeds and lower cost of USB.

That camera of yours has got to be 15+ years old - I remember in 1994 it was the cat's meow to get an ST7, and its successor the ST7E (also parallel) came out in 1999. A replacement, even a low end camera, is way better than that old beastie.

The part that Doug is just too nice and polite to say is it's just not economic for SBIG or Diffraction to develop a work-around for the Microsoft operating system changes that prevent parallel port operation. It would likely be thousands of dollars of effort, assuming it could be solved at all. They could never recoup that, unless owners of these ancient cameras were willing to pay for it.

As an alternative, you might find a local computer store, a ham radio guy, or a kid good with computers that could reload/repair that XP machine for you and get the old stuff running. Maybe find a used PC with XP at a recycling place cheap. Good luck!

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hermit, you are making some extreme statements that are unsupported by the facts. We don't drop support "after a couple of years". Your camera is a couple of decades old. Most of our competitors aren't as old as your camera!

We don't drop product support lightly. The problem is simply that your camera is 1990's technology, and Microsoft has made it extremely difficult to support that generation of hardware.

11. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

In response to the last two replies:

My first post stated my equipment (Hardware) works and has been tested with other devices and those connect to the parallel ports.

The issue is even if I run the downloaded software from SBIG (ARCHIVE) doesn't work period. Others have reported similar issues over the past few years.

Nothing in my posts are extreme, out of line nor wrong in anyway. It points out exactly what was done by me to get assistance and get the software to work with a computer that otherwise is functional. All of my hardware works with other devices through all the ports. If Microsoft took out the driver for the ports then SBIG should include a driver to replace it so their products work with the newer OS.

Several times I read that I must go out and make changes to my equipment that works with other equipment, just not with the SBIG products. I found and installed all the port drivers needed to replace anything and everything Windows 7 might not have in its installation so claiming or blaming Microsoft for SBIG's failure to provide an updated driver is ridiculous at best. The fact that 2 staff members continue to disregard what I have posted and continue to suggest the issue is not with SBIG's failure to provide necessary support is also ridiculous.

I now see why so many people I tell me to avoid and get something else as it is futile to expect or even try to obtain assistance isn't worth the time or effort is true. Now that is not extreme either simply the truth and I expect the staffers here to try to avoid answering my questions since the only logical response is SBIG is not and never intended to continue to support a device they sold and simply render obsolete these devices to encourage sales of the next soon to be obsolete product. By failing and refusing to provide a driver to work under an updated operating system is also sad to do to an end user/buyer.

I now know that I will only continue to receive responses demonstrating the staff do not read thoroughly posts made by users and then avoid responsibility by making claims they are doing so.

Thanks for showing everyone here just what your attitude is toward a long time user and loyal customer and what happens when it does occur.

Cheers
    Hermit

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Mr. "Hermit" - without meaning to offend you, it's simply time to buy a new SBIG camera and buy get a modern computer that will run Windows 10 64bit. Upgrading to a 7 year old operating system isn't a step forward. Time to get to 2016 and put the old camera on eBay for someone who needs it for parts.

It's a technical fact that archived drivers WILL NOT work on Windows 7 64 and likely not on 32bit either. Microsoft PREVENTS third parties from accessing the legacy parallel ports in the way needed. This decision was made by Microsoft in 2009 (eight years ago). Not by SBIG or anybody else. I owned a few parallel port devices including a Starlight Xpress camera that stopped working as a result. Same issue, different hardware manufacturer. Years ago. Its disappointing, but reality. Time to get over it. No amount of griping is going to change historical facts.

Loyal customers spend money with their suppliers. Time to pony up some cash for new gear. I did a few years back, replacing ST6 hardware with the STL11000. It was a lot of money for me at the time, and I've never regretted it. At some point in the coming months, I'll probably replace this STL11000 with a new one. The new camera was so much more capable than the old one, was thrilled that I made the jump forward. Encourage you to do the same.

Bill likes this.
  13. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

As the only SBIG employee still around from the 1990's I also feel compelled to comment. It is somewhat extreme and completely wrong to state or imply that SBIG of today pulled the support of the parallel based cameras in order to force owners to buy shiny new ones. The company has been sold twice since these cameras were obsoleted (the last ones were made in 2003 and I was out of parts by 2005 which is when support really stopped). SBIG cameras themselves are in a 3rd, if not 4th, generation since that time. To infer that the inability to support these cameras in 2016 is actually a refusal with nefarious intentions... doesn't really seem to come from a logical or informed position. No offense.

-Bill

14. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

Well Bill when we spoke you did more dancing around then actual support. You did your best to make claims it was the software which you knew nothing about was the culprit.

I was passed around by staff and the only person who took any interest and made any effort to help was Tim. He was kind, you as stated spent the phone call trying to get me off the phone and to start with emails to someone who was on vacation.

The fact the company was sold has no effect on customer support. Support is support period. All in all all I have heard is excuses and no acceptance of responsibility as to why the products that will work are not working simply due to the fact the drivers aren't updated. windows didn't remove the ability of third parties from supplying drivers for parallel ports look around htey are easily found. so parallel ports and windows ins not the problem. It is SBIG's failure to put out or make available a proper driver.

Being pushed onto a forum free for all is not something that should be done either as it allows all your dirty laundry to be aired and involves a whole bunch of people who then decide to take pot shots at someone making a request.

I simply made a request and then was jumped on by all who responded. That is something you and the company needs to address keep your service and support in house if you don't want comments about the failure of your company to provide support like your competitors provide and there won't be an issue to resolve.

The fact remains my system parallel ports have the proper drivers installed and works. I am missing a working driver to use a device purchased from SBIG and at the time was touted to last for years, the best built, longevity, etc. Since my device works and simply needs a Driver which your company won't issue and will not allow source code to be released so one can be written makes no sense to me.

Now do you want to continue to jump on a person fro simply asking for a driver and then having been forced into defending themselves for telling the truth or do you wan to be part of the solution and provide the driver so other who own your products will know you provide support and then be more inclined to continue buying future items or not? Your choice.

First things first don't jump on a customer for asking for support. Next don't blame others for the failing of your company in supplying the necessary support and don't pass them off when you realize they are correct. they owe a duty to put out and maintain their product line after all they certainly charge enough to do it.
    Contact the appropriate department and have THEM get in touch with the customer and sort it out.

Finally what good is a free for all Forum if all a person is subjected to is abusive attacks when the original questions were how do I make this work or where do I find the following.

I didn't do anything but ask for support, it was the other people who decided to jump in and then demonstrate their complete lack of reading comprehension, and then proceed to go into a sales pitch about products which will be in a similar situation with the next OS upgrade. so no solution there in reality.

I have made a decision about what equipment I will be purchasing and making sure my experiences here are well known. Funny how well word gets out about customer and their treatment by company staff these days. Remember word of mouth advertising far out weighs any published ads 10 to 1. the abuse I have had to endure on this forum and the time wasted having to retype everything repeatedly is beyond a joke.

You have a great day and I will have one as well I will make sure I attend every Astronomy Club, activity and event I can for the near future and have them review the posts here and let decide where their dollars go for products. You already have a good idea of where my latest camera purchase was made from.

When a competitor not only out performs your stuff AND doesn't ignore a support issue they deserve business and continuing loyalty, loyalty to what used to be SBIG now is questionable. SBIG was great in the past but has seriously slipped in the last 10 years.

It is far past time for them to realize this fact and begin supporting and providing proper customer care. That is a fact. When a start up like FLI is out selling you folks it means something, look at ATIK my goodness what is going on what happened to SBIG weren't they the leaders? Well memories aside you aren't the leaders any more and quality is not there in performance vs price point and especially in support. If you are not going to provide long term driver support then say so up front and put the source code to be downloaded and updates can be done by third parties. Again a simple solution. You know even those cheap little eyepiece plug in jobs work with Windows 7 and the big expensive last for decades SBIG can't even connect to a working port and work.

Facts are facts Bill, please remember the next time a customer contacts you don't blow them off or try to blame the company's failings on another. Help that customer find a solution, especially if it isn't a product's hardware but a software issue. Remember I simply asked if a driver was available and you made me go to the Forum, I didn't want to be subjected to it. Oh well now I guess you should have listened and put in touch with the software people. Now this is all over the other Forums because you folks wouldn't do one simple thing. Everyone already knew this to be a fact but you and the others confirmed it.

Thanks for making the decision easy for me and hopefully with these posts it will make it easy for others considering buying equipment as well.

That is the truth and now everyone heard it from your staff and the others on your payroll.

PS there is a work around in case you care to find it I understand people gave up trying to get your company to do something and figured out a workaround. I recently received an email from some very helpful and nice people and we are working on the problem. The problem BTW is not with WIN 7or 8.1 or 10 it is in your SBIG driver, but I am sure you working fo rthe company already knew that it was a problem when you sold it.

Cheers
    Hermit

15. Hermit

Hermit Standard User

Mr. Haig
    actually it will work under win 7, 8.0, 8.1 and now even 10. The problem is not the port hardware or lack of OS support of that hardware, it is the SBIG driver as the issue. I was recently in contact with some folks who solved the issue and got in touch following what I have been made to endure in trying find solution here on this Forum. I have seen my camera work on a similar set up to mine and will be updating my system driver software in the very near future.

As to investing more money into a product from SBIG, well after what I experienced in simply asking if something existed I hardly think anyone would want to go through that. Plus your comments did quite a bit to really insure that I am very motivated to make absolutelysure no one period ever has to go through what I have been through in this Forum or via the support system at SBIG again.

Thanks to you I will never buy another product from your choice of companies and let others know why I don't so congratulations Mr. Haig , because of your comments SBIG has lost my business and potentially after seeing your comments along with everything else I had to endure perhaps they too will choose wisely in the future as well. Remember it is all thanks to you for your motivational comments. Just think how many Astronomy Clubs will get to read your motivational comments Mr. Haig and then they too will thank you for their purchases.

You have a great day and in the future I will spend my money with a company that produces a working, long lasting and supported device, not on something that will stop working at the next OS update.

Cheers
    Hermit

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

"Hermit" - I'm so happy you've found a solution. Would you mind sharing how to get it going with Windows 7 or 10 64bit?

Also, I apologize "Hermit" if I've said something out of line or that would cause you to be upset - that wasn't my intention. I thought tracking down an older XP PC would be helpful, and that there may be alternatives, including investing in something modern. Clearly that upset you, not my intention.

As an alternative suggestion, you might get the old SBIGDriverChecker.exe from ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub. This is a 32 bit version that might work for you on a 32bit Windows 7 or newer box with a real hardware LPT1: port at address 0x3f8, and seeing if that would work. There is also a posting that maybe you saw on Cloudy Nights (you name dropped Briggs of HUT earlier):
    http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/456017-can-old-sbig-parallel-cameras-run-in-windows-7/
    that discusses a similar approach. Maybe that will work.

If you want to buy a new camera from somebody else one day, this might save you some time in your search. I also have cameras and related equipment from QHYCCD, Starlight Xpress, Celestron, Atik, and ZWO. Although they all have fine products, none of them have offered support for their cameras for as many years as you'd like. SX might be in second place, not quite as long as SBIG, and in my experience, not quite as reliable. That probably leaves QSI and Finger Lakes, neither of which I've had the pleasure to own or operate. Good luck.

SBIG folks - Hopefully my statements don't negatively impact your business.