ST-8300C - Red Color Problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Yaniv Birnboim, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Yaniv Birnboim

Yaniv Birnboim Standard User

Hello,

I am using SBIG ST-8300C. I found that in some scene the red pixel got very low value from curtain line only in reddish part of the scene. Please find a jpeg I made that shows the problem.

My scene are three color sheets from Macbeth chart: Grey, Red and Skin. See the attached scene file.
    Scene.jpg

Please see also the image I have captured with the SBIG Camera. I saved it with no binning in high resolution in Tiff format. I didn’t use any white balance or color correction so the seems a little bit blue and the Skin get yellowish hue.

The Tiff files are too big to send so I have saved it after that to Jpeg. Please see the bug in the Red target. It appears also in the raw data.

My question are:

1. Do you know this bug?

2. Do you know its origin? Hardware? Software?

3. Do you have a solution?

I really appreciate If you could advise me what to do.

Thanks,

Yaniv Birnboim

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You didn't say what light source you used to take that image. It looks like you did it indoors so who knows what the color temperature of the lighting is. Could be reddish if incandescent, or greenish if fluorescent.

Of course you may have to tweak color balance. Your best bet for setting color balance is to image a G2V spectral class star and measure. A suggested method for our MaxIm DL software is described here:

http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/Color_Balance.htm

You can do something similar in other software packages.

3. Yaniv Birnboim

Hello,

The problem is not related to color balance. From some reason I can't upload the corrupted Image so You can't see it.
    In the previous massage I uploaded the a picture of the target I have image with SBIG Camera. In the Image I took with SBIG camera the lower left red square looked corrupted. It's upper part looks fine its lower part looks "black". There is clear row where the red color seems differently. Its appear only in the red part of the image. The pink part from the left looks fine.
    How can I send you the image I have took with SBIG Camera?

4. Yaniv Birnboim

Please see the attached. Picture (Took with my cell phone) of the image I have took with SBIG Camera. (AS I said, the original file cannot be uploaded)
    The entire lower red square should be red, while from curtain row its corrupted.
    20160321_145423_resized.jpg

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You can upload your image to our public FTP server to avoid size restrictions.

Be sure to let us know when you have completed the upload as well as the filename.

-------------

Windows XP:

You can login to our FTP server with these credentials to avoid transfer problems and size restrictions:

FTP Host Address: ftp.diffractionlimited.com
    User ID : anonymous@diffractionlimited.com
    Password : (NO PASSWORD)

To login, open "Windows Explorer", (Not Internet Explorer), and paste the following address into the address bar:

ftp://anonymous%40diffractionlimited.com:password@diffractionlimited.com

- Please *ZIP* your images, and use your name as the file name for the zip, i.e.: "myname.zip".

- Upload your ZIP file into the "INCOMING" folder.

- Once you upload your image into the "Incoming" folder, *NO* file will appear...this is normal.

- Please inform us when you have completed the upload

-----------------------

Windows Vista/7:

1: Click on Start button in Windows Vista/7 and then click on "Computer".

2: Click on “Map network drive”

3: "Map Network Drive" window will open. Now click on the link "Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures."

4: Now simply follow the step by step wizard to add a new network location. Select"Choose a custom network location" when given the choice of where to create this network connection.

5: Type our ftp address ftp://ftp.diffractionlimited.com and click "Next"

6: Check "Log on anonymously" then click "Next"

7: Once the wizard is completed, if it does not open automatically, click on the Start button in Windows Vista/7 and then click on "Computer", and you should see the FTP server listed under the Network Location. You can access it the same way you access any folder on your computer.

-----------------------

Third party FTP Clients such as "Filezilla" can be used to upload software to our FTP server as well.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Once the software is installed, use the following credentials to connect:

Host: ftp.diffractionlimited.com
    User Name: anonymous@diffractionlimited.com
    Password: (NO PASSWORD)

Copy or drag your files into the window panel on the right to upload your files.

Once the files have been successfully uploaded, you will *not* see them in the Filezilla program but we will receive them.

Let us know when the transfer is complete.

-------

6. Yaniv Birnboim

I am getting an error massage while trying to upload the original files to the ftp server:
    Error Massage.JPG

7. Yaniv Birnboim

Can anyone assist regarding uploading files or regarding the "red bug" seen in the image I have uploaded in previous posts?
    Thanks,
    Yaniv

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Did you use the correct user details?:

Host: ftp.diffractionlimited.com
    User Name: anonymous@diffractionlimited.com
    Password: (NO PASSWORD)

As well as copy it into the Incoming folder?

You could also upload it to a 3rd party cloud file server like Dropbox, or Google Drive and send us the download link.

9. Yaniv Birnboim

I have shared the images in my public Drobox folder:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5en23q7uyf5o10j/AABFNYyoQ4AJWHQF3oC9KPNOa?dl=0

There are three files:
    1. The raw data file. Tif 16 bit.
    2 Same file converted to RGB. Tif 16 bit x 3. The bug seen in the red section. from curtain raw the red looks "blacky".
    3 picture of the scene I have taked to show how the image supposed to look like.

Thanks,
    Yaniv

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Does it only occur when you take an image with CCDOps? Have you tried any other software to capture the image?

11. Yaniv Birnboim

I don't have any other software that operates this camera? Do you have any suggestion for free software? Does SBIG provide other softwares?

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

13. Yaniv Birnboim

It seems that with MaxIm DL the problem disappears.
    Now what should I do? I only have 30 days demo license.

14. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Can you collect some driver logs, and perhaps we can find the cause of the issue.

To collect driver logs:

1.) Open the "SBIGDriverChecker64" software
    2.) Click the "Debug Log" button.
    3.) On the "Configure Debug Logger" window, click the "All" button.
    4.) Click the "Set Path" button and enter a name for the log file and a location for it to be saved to. Then Click the "OK" button.

Once it is configured for logging, try the testing again to reproduce the issue and send us the resulting log file.

15. Yaniv Birnboim

I am realy sorry but I don't have Debug Log button in my SBIG DriverChecker64 software. Please Advice.

Capture.JPG

16. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You need to update your SBIGDriverChecker64 software. You can download the latest version from here:

http://www.sbig.com/support/software/

17. Yaniv Birnboim

18. Yaniv Birnboim

Hi,

Has anyone got the chance to review the log file?

Yaniv

19. Yaniv Birnboim

Hi,

Kind reminder to look at data you have requested.

Thanks,
    Yaniv

20. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry for the delay, we collectively dropped the ball here.

I've looked at your raw TIFF image, and what is going on there is really bizarre. There is a sudden horizontal shift suggesting lost pixels. Then just ONE of the bayer planes goes dark, except in spots. Further, after that happens it looks like any pixel that exceeded a certain value lost 16384 from its ADU value. Sounds like a digital hardware problem... just a really weird one.

The only component that could possibly do something this bizarre is the FPGA. It could be caused by a power supply issue, or some intermittent problem on the circuit card.

Does this happen often? Or just occasionally? Does it happen at the same point in the image readout, or does it sometimes cover more or less of the image? Are you using the power supply that came with the camera?

What is the camera serial number?