ST-9XE Hight Bias Level

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Danny Flippo, Apr 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Danny Flippo

Danny Flippo Cyanogen Customer

I have an ST-9XE and the bias frames are showing an average background ADU level of just over 5000. This seems high. I have the latest available drivers installed. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Dan
    Please attach a sample bias frame in FITS format using the Upload a File button to the lower right.
    Agree, that sounds high.
    Is this a camera you've had for a while or is it new-to-you (used)?
    Can you provide the Serial Number from the label?

3. Danny Flippo

This camera has been in use as part of a collaboration with a local university and our club for several years.

Here is a screen shot from CCDOps showing the camera information. The serial number is 910206403. I have also uploaded the bias frame you requested.

upload_2020-4-4_10-52-47.png

Thanks,
    Dan

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks Dan. I think it will have to go into @Bill for repair. We'll get it sorted on Monday.

5. Danny Flippo

Are there any adjustments we can make here without having to send it in? We have diagnostic tools and skilled people if you could provide guidance.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Bias should ideally be 5% to 10% of full scale. This is on the high side but not fatal.

There is an auto bias adjust feature under SBIG Driver Checker / Cfg Drv button. It forces the bias to 100. We now default it off because it adversely affects some application software and is unnecessary. The bias may have changed because of the setting being off.

As long as your camera gives good images I would ignore this and just continue using it.