Resolved ST and STL cameras in Windows Enterprise

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mark Trapnell, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Mark Trapnell

Mark Trapnell Standard User

Dear all,

I have a number of SBIG ST and STL cameras as well as an STF , STi and STT.

I recently set up a mini pc using Windows 10 Enterprise and an i5 chip. I have installed all my usual programmes (including the current SBIG 64 Driver Checker) and everything works well except that I cannot connect to my ST or STL cameras.

When I power up (USB plugged in) the filter wheel moves as normal, but the fan doesn't start up. When I go to Device Manager, there is nothing to show the camera is connected. When I check the firmware tab in SBIG Driver Checker it says unable to detect any camera. I have checked the firmware 2-way box. So I am stuck. As a sanity check, the ST and STL cameras both connect fine in Windows 10 Pro and Home. I can also run the STF and STi fine on the mini PC using Enterprise, so I am reasonably sure my SBIG Driver Checker has installed correctly.

Has anyone successfully used Enterprise with these older SBIG cameras? If so, any special settings? I understood that any application/driver that runs on other Windows versions should also run on Enterprise. I know the firmware systems on ST and STL cameras are a little unusual, so maybe they are simply incompatible with Enterprise.

Thanks

Mark

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

These cameras use very standard Cypress drivers. They do use a "renumeration" Cypress feature that uploads the required firmware into the camera. Our newer cameras don't do that.

Is is possible to arrange a remote login session to check it out? I'll get Adam to look at your system.

3. Mark Trapnell

Thanks Doug.

Yes, that would be fantastic. I can set up TeamViewer. When would suit Adam and how do we communicate?

Many thanks again.

Mark

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'll ask him to contact you.

5. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

6. Mark Trapnell

Thanks Adam

Should I send you the log in details through the forum?

Mark

7. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Both devices were not registering in the Device Manager, so I added them manually using "Add Legacy Hardware". The computer was then able to detect the cameras by type (STL and ST Pro respectively), but both devices had the error "Device could not be initialized". As the ST-10 Pro is able to connect to Windows 10 Pro, I'm skeptical this is a hardware issue. A USB trace or Windows event log analysis may be necessary, but I want to do some more research on the issue before proceeding.

8. Mark Trapnell

Thanks Adam. Again, your efforts are much appreciated.

Best, Mark

9. Mark Trapnell

I seem to have resolved this problem.

The mini PC in question is an Eagle2 Pro. I read yesterday (by chance) on another forum that a user was having difficulty connecting his camera through the Eagle's USB2 ports but that connection worked using its USB3 ports. I have tried the same thing and both my ST and STL connect immediately!

I understand that the Eagle2's USB2 ports can be configured to switch on/off whereas the USB3 ports are permanently on. It seems that this may be the issue, though it is curious that the USB2 ports work fine with my STF and other USB devices. Maybe it is to do with the firmware procedures that Adam mentions above.

Many thanks to Doug and Adam for their amazing responsiveness, and I am sorry if this wasted Adam's time. I am delighted that my 2x ST10xme, ST8E and 3x STL cameras live to fight another day!

Best,

Mark