St-i camera connection

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Patrick Desfossés, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Patrick Desfossés

Patrick Desfossés Standard User

Does Anyone knows why i can't connect my St-i cam, it tells me that the device is not found! But in the device manager, the camera is knowed.

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

3. Patrick Desfossés

Sorry, i did not explain that much about my situation, so here some more details about my problem, i'm using a sbig stf 8300m with a St-i as an autoguider,, my EOS, was Windows 8.1 and everythings works very well, then two months ago, i bought a new Dell Alienware PC with Windows 8.1 and i've installed all the stuff and , yes i did the drivers updates, and i'm able to connect my STF8300 but when i want to connect the St-i, it does not work. In the driver checker i 've noticed that all the drivers are the same except one of the drivers that is not the same as on my old PC. The old driver was sbigucam.hex version 2.42 and now instead it's sbigpcam version 2.46. Do you think could it be my problem? How can i exchange them?
    By the way , thanks for your reply!!! And sorry about my english, i hope you understand i'm a french canadian!!!

4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Patrick,

Are you are connecting the ST-I as camera number 2.
    Is this happening using CCDops? Do you have the latest version?

Also anytime you upgrade your CCDOps you should also upgrade your Drivers using the SBIG Driver Checker utility as follows:
    If you have previously installed the Driver Checker and have an Internet connection on this machine:
    1) Run the driver checker.
    2) Click the Download button to download the latest drivers.
    3) Click the Update button to update your System.
    If you haven’t installed the Driver Checker do this:
    1) Download the Driver checker from our web site.
    2) Run the Driver Checker.
    3) Click the Update button to update your System.

5. Patrick Desfossés

I 've just run the Sbig driver checker and done all the steps you gave me previously and all my drivers are up to date,. I'M using CCDsoftv5 and usually it works very well, but not on this PC, so i've tried with CCDops v.5.53 ( which i'm not very familiar with ) so i've launch a second CCDOps and it can't establish a connection with the St-i camera. But there is no problem with the STF8300, i can perfectly control it. I really don't know what to do. As i sais previously, i think that it coulb be the sbigpcam.hex driver. '' The old driver was sbigucam.hex version 2.42 and now instead it's sbigpcam version 2.46'' and it still working on my old PC.

6. Patrick Desfossés

Finally , i think i found my problem!!!!!! YEAHHHH, Could it be the USB cable??? I just try another one and ''Eureka'' it works!!! Do you think it needs a special USB cable??
    Thank you anyway for your efforts to helping me, i hope that was only that! I'll try that right away this night, hope everything will be fine. Thanks again!!

7. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Patrick, no I just think you had a bad cable.

I am very glad you found the issue.
    If you need anything email, call or Skype.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Actually, if you're using a long USB cable with the ST-I, we recommend you use one with large gauge wires. The ST-I is powered through the USB interface and draws a fair bit of power; larger wires prevent there from being too much voltage drop.

9. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

I found I couldn't use the 15 foot USB cables that came with the ST-I or the STF-8300. I had intermittent drops. Switching to 10 foot cables solved the problem. I did not try better quality 15 foot cables - I figured the ones that came with the camera would have been good enough quality, but they weren't.

10. Patrick Callis

Patrick Callis Standard User

Hi Tim
    I have found a similar problem. I have an SBIG 8300C and a ST-i. I use a 24' USB extension to my control room. The Sbig 8300C works fine on the USB extension but when I tested the ST-i separately using the 24' USB extension I get camera not found. When I tried both cameras in the observatory with their original cables they both worked fine. So it sounds like I need a heavier duty cable for my ST-i. Do you have any recommendations on what specifications that I need when I order a new USB extender?
    Thanks, I do appreciate it.
    Pat

11. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

12. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

15 feet is the maximum with no extender... The company makes no official recommendations on brand.
    If you are only running 24 feet an industrial USB hub should do fine.

13. Patrick Callis

Patrick Callis Standard User

Hi Tim

Thanks for information.

Pat.

14. Joel G Parkes

Joel G Parkes Standard User

Hi Tim
    I have had the same difficulty connecting my remote STi through MaxIm v6.09. I followed the Driver installation exactly and got both the STL 11000 ( camera 1) and the STi (camera 2) set up OK. Both CCD connected directly to my PC. The problem was I got no image from the "guider" ie the STi in MaxIm. In desperation I successfully loaded the STi as the Autoguider on SkyX and it took autodark-calibrated images OK. So is there a special selection in Settings I need to use in MaxIm such as Relays , ASCOM etc?
    Joel

15. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Joel,

It could be your settings. I emailed Doug just in case but I bet it's a settings issue.
    I am happy to use team viewer and look at your settings.

Let me know if I can help.
    Regards
    Tim

16. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Joel,

1. Make sure you have the latest SBIG drivers.
    2. Make absolutely sure you are running version 6.09.
    3. If still having trouble then try turning off threading in the camera Setup tab / options.

If you still have issues call me or Skype me. I am happy to take a look on your computer with Team viewer and check all the settings.