ST-i CCDs need a fix

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Shai Kaspi, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Shai Kaspi

Shai Kaspi Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

Over the past two decades we bought seven ST-i cameras which we used on different telescopes and instruments that we have at our observatory, mainly for acquisition and guiding purposes.
    Out of the 7 cameras 6 now have all kinds of problems from CCDs that outputs an images composed only from zeros or 100 counts, to images with streaks and electronic noise in them.
    I know the support for ST-i is discontinued but I wonder if I can send these six ST-i cameras to technical support and they may be able to fix a few of them (even one would be great) maybe by using parts from a few of the cameras to fix the others, or maybe technical support has some old spare parts for that camera model.

On a related issue:
    For one of our telescopes we are still using FS2 telescope control system. This is a very old system bought 20 years ago and has a technology of about 30 years old. Thus far I could not find a CCD that will enable guiding with that system except the ST-i CCD. Although many new CCDs state they use the ST-4 guiding interface, I could not find one that really can work with the FS2 telescope control system (I suspect it has something to do with electronics manufactured decades ago).
    Thus, we really need to have the ST-i fixed and working.
    I appreciate if anyone that has some experience with FS2 and guiding with ST-4 interface can recommend on a CCD that really works with the FS2 like the ST-i works.

Thanks,
    Shai

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We do have some parts available for ST-i. Please contact @Bill at sbig dot com.

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Doubtless these cameras need short boards of which I have none. I assume there are some in Ottawa hence my suggestion to Shai that he send his cameras there.

-Bill

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I checked and we have an ample supply of boards here.

@Tim can provide RMA instructions.

Bill likes this.
  5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Can you please submit the following RMA contact form? Once I receive it I can provide you with RMA numbers and return instructions.

http://diffractionlimited.com/request-rma

6. Shai Kaspi

Thanks @Doug , @Bill , and @Tim .
    I submitted the RMA contact form as instructed.

Shai

7. Shai Kaspi

Hello @Tim and @Doug,

The package with our ST-i cameras arrived to the RMA department almost two months ago.
    I did not receive any updates since. The RMA number is R1552.
    Are there any news about these cameras? Can they be repaired?

Thanks,
    Shai

On 20/12/2023 20:12, Diffraction RMA Department wrote:

Dear Shai Kaspi @ Tel Aviv University,

This message is to let you know we received 1 package from you for RMA R1552. They will proceed into our RMA process. We will inspect the items for damage and begin the repair process within the next several days. We will notify you when the items are ready to be shipped back to you.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at +1-613-225-2732.

Best Regards,
    RMA Department
    Diffraction Limited

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

PM Sent.