ST8XME showing '0' counts in all pixels - help required please

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Jennie, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

I have a major problem with my incredibly reliable ST8XME – last night in middle of a run the chip stopped registering on both the auto guider chip and main chip while I was running an auto focus. Nothing like this has ever happened before so I am assuming it is major?

I have attached four FIT files - 1x1 bias, 100s dark frame and 10s flat as examples. You will see the images downloaded contain '0' counts in all pixels
    Also attached was the last normal image of the field i was working on before i changed to refocu when the error occurred.

SBIG ST8XME
    Serial number 07021483

My questions here are
    1. Is this camera worth repairing?

2. Is SBIG able to send a part for repair and I get someone competent in NZ to replace it?

3. This old camera has been fantastic and suits my setup very well – can I purchase a new one from you (same model perhaps updated? I think I saw an ST8XME-2 for sale in the US from Scopecity?
    Urgently need your advice

Thanks so much
    Jennie McCormick

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jennie, sorry to hear this.
    Did you ty power-cycling the camera and trying to take an image again, just in case?
    My colleague @Bill may be able to repair it. He does have some parts for older cameras, and may have an idea on what the root cause is.
    I had a look at the 3 files, yes, all zero.
    Your "last normal image" isn't attached.

1. The camera may be reparable - Bill will have to weigh in.
    The newer, modern cameras are better in pretty much every respect, they download and digitize faster, have lower noise, cool better.
    I could offer some suggestions for your scope - is it the 14inch LX200? With a focal reducer or no?

2. Will defer to Bill. Not likely, as it depends on what has failed and how much disasembly is required.

3. Glad to hear it has worked so well for you. We don't have ST-8s, they hvaent been made for years. Scope City went out of business years ago, but their website is a zombie.
    I think we have an old-stock new ST-7XME, not as big a chip.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'll weigh in as well - I saw your facebook post. Looking at your images, as you say the output is all zero. The firmware in these old cameras do that when they detect a fault with the readout. There's a small chance that it simply needs an EEPROM reset, but most likely it requires service.

The ST-8XME is a very reliable camera but nothing lasts forever. Bill @ SBIG Service & Repair Center handles repairs for obsolete models. He can perform most repairs, although spare parts may be limited as some are no longer manufactured. He would have to get the camera in-house to diagnose the problem.

Please note that Bill is on vacation until July 8. His email is bill at sbig dot com.

The sensor used in the ST-8XME is still available, but is expected to be discontinued by the manufacturer later this year. The modern equivalent camera is the STF-1603W. http://diffractionlimited.com/products/cameras-accessories/stf-series/

There may be a better modern match to your instrument. Colin can help you with that.

4. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Thanks very much Colin and Doug

I have just uploaded one of the images i took before the camera stop reading out. 1x1 bin 30s uncalibrated
    I do not use a focal reducer and only use this camera for research e.g microlensing, comet and asteroid astrometery etc etc

Bill how does one do a EEPROM reset?

What ever you guys could suggest as a new update camera would be most appreicative - i do require the dual chip
    I use a Meade ACF LX200 14 at " f/10 - with an Optec TCFS autofocuser

thanks again
    Jennie

thanks again Jennie

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Bill is on vacation until July 8. He is our expert on these older cameras so unfortunately you'll have to wait for him to return for an answer. The camera almost certainly needs repairs.

The 9 micron pixels of the ST-8XME is a perfect match for your conditions. You have an image scale of 0.55 arc-sec per pixel, and your seeing is 1.9" FWHM. (Very nice - around here I see that about once a year.) That's about 3.5 pixels across the FWHM, which is pretty much the ideal compromise.

We have several different camera models available with 9 micron pixels, in order of pricing:

As for guiding:

We no longer include guide sensors inside our cameras. It is not ideal because the light goes through the filter, and the resulting reduction in sensitivity causes problems. These days our guide cameras are either build into the filter wheel itself, or are an accessory that attaches to the front of the filter wheel.

STF-1603W - we recently stopped producing the ST-I guide camera used with this product because the KAI-0340 sensor it uses is being discontinued. We do have a new guider product in the works, with a better sensor, which is expected to release in the fall time frame. If you need a solution ASAP then we may possibly have other options.

STXL series - FW8G-STXL filter wheel for self-guiding.

STX series - FW7-STX filter wheel plus STX Guider bolt-on accessory provides guiding.

If you have the budget, I would recommend STXL-6303 + FW8G-STXL as the best mid-priced option. This has a much larger array than the ST-8XME, which may be helpful. Also I should note we currently have a sale going on STX-16803.

6. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Hi again Doug and thanks for all the info,

I have been lucky enough to be offered a unused ST8XME from a person leaving here in NZ as a backup - i will probably look at purchasing this if possible.

I would like to return the faulty camera to you guys for repair and service though. I will wait until the 8 July when Bill is back from his vacation and then make contact about how to go returning it etc etc.

As for the new cameras - they look very nice indeed, (shame no dual chip as i haven't found it to be a problem). I would need to obtain funding for a 6303 with filter wheel which is something i will be looking at as well

Cheers Jennie

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jennie, thanks for letting us know.
    As far as Dual Chip goes, the self-guiding filter wheels use the same concept, just the guide chip is in the FW, ahead of the filters.
    The 6303 is very popular, especially for science applications.
    Am curious as to the kinds of things you do with your setup. Perhaps you could share.

In the meantime, you could send a message to our service wizard @Bill by email, bill (at) sbig (dot) com
    Although he is on vacation, he might see it and respond.

8. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Hi Colin
    well i am part of a collaboration who monitor high mag Microlensing events, known as MicroFun from Ohio State University.
    I have been part of this team since 2005. We have co-discovered 20+ extra solar planets - all the data i have produced for the collaboration was using the old ST7XME (in 2005) but the ST8XME has done most of the work since 2006 and it is had done a damn good job too.

I am also part of the Cataclysmic Variable collaboration group, known as Center for Backyard Astrophysics (CBA) from Columbia University. I have been taking data on these stars since 2000 using very old ST6 can you believe. It was the ST6 that got me started in taking part in astronomical research, and really made me see what i could do with the equipment and how i could make a contribution in this field. The ST8XME has done most of the work though

I do astrometry on Asteroids and Comets for the Minor Planet Center and in 2009, I discovered a very faint asteroid ~19.3mg with a 3.5 year orbital period now officially named New Zealand. This work is done using the ST8XME

I have monitored the binary black-hole, OJ287 for the BAA a few years ago and still keep track of what it is up too, because i can :)

The great thing about having my own observatory with good quality reliable equipment, is that i can choose what i would like to work on, and when.

I will send Bill a message about getting my old ST8XME to the US and repaired :)

Thanks Colin
    Jennie

9. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Hi again guys - i'm back.... Are you able to repair (2) faulty ST8 XME cameras? The second camera i was given in 2019 (as mentioned in the messages above) failed last night while taking simple calibration frames.
    I have been in touch with my collaborators and if it is possible to supply legacy service on these cameras, we will send them back to you for repair. Fingers crossed it is
    Thanks again
    Jennie

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jennie, I can ask @Bill if he is willing to take a look at them. The problem is these are 20+ year old cameras, and parts just don't exist.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you are lucky, it may be that @Bill can use the parts from one camera to repair the other. Of course if the same part failed on both then it won't be possible. You can contact him at bill@sbig.com

12. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Doug - would appreciate that very much, in the meantime are you able to suggest a suitable 9-micron replacement camera with off axis autoguiding capabilities that would suit my system?

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That would be the SBIG Aluma AC4040 plus AFW filter wheel and SC-4 off-axis guide camera.

14. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Doug - we are already looking into this camera - i will know more in a few weeks w2hen i hear back from Ohio State

In mean time i have been given a very nice 'lighly used' ST-7XME-D Serial 07054190 so i can keep observing.

It is working very well except for rather a dusty senor - can you advise how to clean? I could take it to a professional camera shop here in Auckland, NZ with a clean room - are you able to give me any info that they may need to clean the chip without damaging it
    Thanks for your help and advice

Attached Files:

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I can't say I recommend taking it to a camera shop. They won't be used to working with a sealed chamber.

If you or someone else does open the chamber, then you will need to do a desiccant recharge as per the user manual. This involves baking the desiccant module, and then putting it back and the camera and waiting 24 hours before using the cooler. Failure to do that will result in ice buildup, contamination of the sensor window, and if not corrected promptly it will cause damage.

16. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

I would like to send it back to you for cleaning and service ASAP - what do i need to do that please.

17. Doug

Doug Staff Member

@Tim will help you with that.

As this is an older camera, you also have the option of sending it to Bill Lynch at SBIG Service & Repair. He is in California. Contact is bill@sbig.com

18. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Jennie,

If you want to send it for service to us here in Canada, please submit the following RMA contact form. Once I receive the submission, I can provide you with an RMA number and return instructions.

http://diffractionlimited.com/request-rma

19. Jennie

Jennie Cyanogen Customer

Thank you Tim i have filled in the details as requested