STC-7 and Filter for Dark Frame

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Tim Povlick, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

It appears the correct settings for the STC-7 and Maxim wrt dark frames is to set:

Setup Camera ==> Select STC on Devices ==> Settings ==> Use FW as Shutter.

Otherwise Maxim requests user to cover the camera for the dark frame (and it's not joking).

The STC-7 manual does not broach the subject. To add to (my) confusion, firmware update #4 says:

STC Firmware Revision 4

Revision 4 - 2020/11/14
    + Improved support for internal filter wheels by defaulting camera's "UseFWAsShutter" setting to "Off" by default.

In so doing, Maxim requests user to cover the camera for dark frames. If this check box is on, then darks are truly dark.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

_..--
    Tim

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There might be some confusion because both MaxIm DL and the STC-7 have a "Use filter wheel as shutter" feature.

The STC-7 does shuttering internally and automatically when a dark frame is requested. There is an option in DL Config to turn it on/off. Open DL Config (easiest way to get there is to use Setup tab / Setup Camera / Advanced), click on the camera in the Devices list, and then click the Settings button. There is a check box "Use FW as Shutter", which should be on. When this is set the camera will automatically choose slot 8 whenever you ask for a dark frame. This feature is provided by the camera firmware to better support third party software. There is an option to turn it off because someone out there might want to use the 8th slot for some other purpose.

For over a decade now MaxIm DL has had a similar feature, accessible under Setup tab / Options. You can use this instead - it works exactly the same way, except that MaxIm DL controls the wheel instead of the camera firmware. The result is exactly the same.

I'll make sure that the STC-7 user manual gets updated. It was based on the STC-428 user manual and I think that feature difference may have been missed.

3. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

Your explanation makes perfect sense; the firmware ""UseFWAsShutter" setting to "Off" by default" notwithstanding.

Maxim and TSX were fine with the FWs setting ON.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm not sure why that was set to default off... I'll check with the programmer.

Ross Ferguson and Tim Povlick like this.