STC-7 Random Disconects

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Jose D. Ruiz, Jul 7, 2024.

1. Jose D. Ruiz

Jose D. Ruiz Cyanogen Customer

Hello,
    I acquired an STC-7 camera over a year ago. since then I have been experiencing occasional random disconnects, either during image acquisition or downloading. I learned to work with this shortcomings by limiting the length of individual capture sessions, and/or supervising imaging capture progress throughout the night.
    I recently purchased an Astrophysics (AP) Mach 2 GTO mount... As you may know, its AP Control Center (APCC) application includes the APPM modeling software which I am using for building Dec-Arc models to use during my imaging sessions for guiding. This requires the camera to take several (5 sec.) images used to perform plate solves. The Dec-Arc models take several minutes to complete. This is where my STC-7 comes short. It takes me several tries to successfully complete a model... and many times I fails to complete a single model due to the random disconnects which can occur at the beginning, middle, or towards the end of the modeling run.
    I need to mention that the disconnects occur regardless of the imaging software I use, MaxIM DL(v6.5) or ASTAP. I still own my STF-8300M CCD camera, which I have been using for over 15 years and it was meant to be replaced by the STC-7. I must say the STF-8300 is a reliable workhorse; I have never experience any disconnect due to this camera. I interchangeably use both the STC-7 and the STF-8300 on my AP mount using pretty much the same communication interface configuration (USB hub, etc).
    In doing some internet search I came across a thread in this forum from late 2020 ("Camera Disconnect Randomly"). I tried to follow it to see if there was any relevance to my conundrum, but it looks like due to the current firmware version of my STC-7 (rev. 8), the 2020 thread may no longer be valid.
    I am running Windows 11, and I believe I have disabled any USB power management intended for power saving, but I admit that there may be something additional I have not aware.
    I will really appreciate any assistance on this matter so I can move forward. At this point using my STC-7 for a full automated image acquisition (using software like NINA) is not possible for me.
    Thank you.
    -Jose
    P.S., I have included an image file with current information on my STC-7.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hello Jose, the current firmware version is 9, which is newer than what you have.
    You can find it here:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/aluma-fpga-firmware/

Details on Windows Power Management and disconnects:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

Verify that you have the latest BIOS and drivers from the computer manufacturer.
    If your PC is Intel based, their Driver and Support Assistant is very helpful.
    AMD has a similar sort of tool for verifying their drivers.

Do you have any hubs or extenders between the camera and computer? Are they shared or a dedicated connection?

3. Jose D. Ruiz

Thanks Colin,

Thanks for your prompt response. I will follow the links you provided to update the firmware, and the Windows Power Management to verify I have the optimal settings. Since I replaced the STC-7 with my STF8300 on the telescope to continue capturing some light-frames during this past weekend, I'll set up a test platform indoors with the STC-7 and run some sessions to check for connectivity performance. I'll be doing this test on stand-alone mode, meaning... no USB hubs in between.

To answer your questions; I started using the PegasusAstro Ultimate Powerbox V3. However, the disconnects have been occurring since before I added that PowerBox into my configuration.

I'll report back I soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again,

-Jose

4. Jose D. Ruiz

Hello
    This is the report from the last test run of my STC-7 camera; I was able to bring the fpga firmware to rev. 9. I also modified the power setting for the USB devices as indicated. I addition I verified that all firmware and software revision in my computers are up to date. Alas, the disconnect problem persisted. I have included an image with the window message the pops out. I also included the log file from MaxIm DL as well as an image with my Windows system info.
    The test I performed was configured with the camera connected to my laptop using the USB cable, and the power cord, provided by Diffraction Limited (DL). No other equipment was connected during this test.
    Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to provide, or do, to help me resolve this issue.
    Once again, thanks for taking time on this matter.
    -Jose

Attached Files:

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks for sending the info. All that sounds reasonable.
    This screen shot is a different error than Camera Disconnected.

Can you save your Autosave sequence file and send me that .seq file? You'll have to rename it to .txt to Upload.
    I want to try the same setup here.

Can you quit MaxIm, run DL Config Utility, and give me the info on the Help... About screen. A PrtSc screen shot or copy/paste.
    I want to check the file versions.

6. Jose D. Ruiz

Hello Colin,

Thanks again for you quick response. Regarding the error message, I might head misspoken when I said "disconnect", even though the error occurs while the camera is in the middle of a imaging session. This may be the case of an unrelated case, now that I have a newer firmware version installed... I am only speculating here.
    These are the print screens you requested.

Thanks,

-Jose

Attached Files: