Resolved STC Firmware Update Issues

Discussion in 'DL Imaging Drivers - Aluma, STC, StarChaser' started by Frank R. Santore, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

I've gotten around to the subject task. My SC1300M-21012603 is showing v6 FW. I believe v9 is the desired current version from looking at the web site, but it continually provides a network error when attempting a download. My network seems solid, and v8 downloads without problems. However, versions 8 back to my current v6 fail to update, reporting "We were unable to identify the camera model for this firmware file. Please verify you've got the right firmware file for your camera from https://diffractionlimited.com/aluma-fpga-firmware/ before proceeding." This is when using DLConfig 2.4.0.0. Thank you.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You have the original version. If you try to install the Enhanced firmware version, the StarChaser will reject it as it is not compatible.

When you download firmware, please be sure to select StarChaser (Original) in the Filter By Type drop box.

3. Frank R. Santore

Thank you, Doug. I'll definitely use that pesky filter in the future. I purchased in the wrong bubble for my StarChaser if the enhanced version is of significant additional value. My current subs are short enough and the L500 mount precise enough that guiding is not of the same worry level as before, at least for now on the AC4040 image chain. Can I assume the you do offer a factory upgrade to migrate the original StarChaser to the enhanced, and if so at what cost? I appreciate you setting me straight on my v6 as current, so thanks again. -fs

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Upgrading unfortunately requires changing both circuit cards, which are the most expensive components in the StarChaser. It would cost about $900.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Frank R. Santore likes this.
  6. Frank R. Santore

I'm trying to review the benefits of upgrading my Original SC-3 to the newly released SC-4. I'm having trouble uncovering the changes that were made between my current 'Original SC-3' and the enhanced SC-3 that the SC-4 is replacing. I definitely would benefit from the SC-4's outboard user controlled pick off mirror replacement and better focus. But would like to understand the overall improvements from my version. Thank you. -fs

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Differences are:

Original vs Enhanced:
    There are two different versions of the sensor used in the SC units. The "E" series have slightly high Near Infrared sensitivity. If you are finding guide stars, likely not worth going from SC-3 to SC-3E or 4.

Field of View:
    The 3 vs 4 - the 4 has a 0.7x focal reducer in it, allowing for a larger field of view. Helpful to longer focal length scopes (>3000mm). Helps find a few more guide stars.

Focus and Pick-off Adjustment:
    3 vs 4 - the 4 is easier to set up initially. If you've got it dialed in on the 3, and you don't change your equipment often, the 4 is a small upgrade in that regard.

We've also used lighter weight additive manufacturing processes (laser sintering, the high tech version of 3D printing) to create the body, reducing the weight of the unit.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Note also that the SC-4 does not work with the STX CCD cameras - the parfocal distance is designed for AC4040 / AC2020 and the AFW-series filter wheels.
    The "Original SC-3" was replaced with the "SC-3-LONG" - exactly the same thing.
    So a 4 may not fit your camera setup.