Resolved STF-8300 usb connection not acknowledged

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Figleap, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Figleap

Figleap Standard User

When connecting a stf-8300m to a USB port using multiple cables and multiple PCs the device while powered by the manufacturers power supply will not be acknowledged by the operating system. If it is plugged in on one specific laptop it will be acknowledged in the device manager if a 6 inch usb cable is used. However, it will be considered a “device descriptor error” and every possible driver update yields the best driver already being installed. Before this event, there were power supply issues that were resolved with separation of the power connector center post.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Which operating system are you running? e.g Windows 10 Pro 21H1 64bit?
    Have you installed the SBIG Driver Checker 4.05?
    Does it show sbigudrv.dll 4.99 build 7 in the list?
    After installing, did you Update the drivers? (When it asks to connect to the internet, you can say No, and it will use the local copy).
    sbig_driver_no.png

In the Windows Device Manager, you should see something like this:
    sbig_devmgr.png
    If you have Windows 10, in the Device Manager, try View... Show Hidden Devices
    You may see some Unknown Devices that are greyed out.
    Unplug the camera.
    Remove the Unknown Devices. Right click on each one and uninstall.
    Reboot
    Run the SBIG Driver Checker and Update, No to internet.
    Now plug in the camera.
    It should find it.

If it doesn't, we could attempt a remote TeamViewer session to log into your machine and have a look.
    If you have had sporadic power problems, it may have damaged the camera, and it might need to come in for repair.

3. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I have had similar problems with my cameras if I plug the USB cables into the computer and the cameras are already powered up or if the imaging software (MaxIm DL Pro in my case) is already running.

If I follow the startup sequence below it works every time:

1. Computer is powered up but MaxIm DL is not running
    2. Plug camera USB cable(s) into computer
    3. Power up camera(s)
    4. Launch MaxIm DL
    After step 3 you should see the SBIG USB devices in your device manager.

Hope this helps

Mike

4. Figleap

Figleap Standard User

Thank you for all the well written suggestions! Much appreciated. I walked through them with no change in results, but here are the details:

Since the setup is intended to be ran with my laptop I’ll provide information on only that computer to help us focus on a single solution.
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version: 10.0.19043 Build 19043 (no updates are available through Microsoft or the computer manufacture at time of writing this)

I have installed SBIGDriverChecker64 Version 4.05 Build 0 (64 Bit), it has been ran “as administrator” and normal “left click”.
    It has sbigurdrv.dill Version 5.0.2.0 Date 04-15-21 listed not the 4.99 build 7 referenced in the first reply from Mr. Haig.
    I did update the drivers and then tried uninstalling then reinstalling without updating then selecting the “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)”{only appears when using a 6 inch USB cable} and guiding the driver choice to the directory for 64 bit pro sBIG drivers with the same message saying the best drivers are already installed. If I wasn’t explicit before, this is an attempt to make the first connection to this laptop. The camera has never been successfully connected to this laptop before.

One recent change, I had to pry apart the center power post again and now the red light sometimes comes on with the clicking sound (from the filters I presume). There appears to be no damage to the power connector from visual observation on the exterior. Having to repeatedly pry apart the center power post when using the manufacturer’s AC adapter is a curious development. When opening the top cover to view the solder it does look like there may be a gap between the board and solder on a leg of the AC port. I say this only because there is a shadow, it is hard to observe with confidence. See attached picture.

I did speak with the original owner and he has said that the power connector was always a little funny but never gave him too many issues as long as it was in the same position and not turned. For example, if the connector is screwed in but the plug is turned while being plugged in the power dies until it finds another good connection so many radians into the turn. The camera was originally used in an observatory and I’m going to use it in a portable setup once up and running. This will result in more exposure to vibrations and temperature fluctuations which may uncover small electrical nuances.

I’m leaning towards a hardware issue but I am completely open to trying any other software trouble shooting suggestions.

Attached Files:

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It should NEVER be run as Administrator. This can mess up settings and registry and security.
    You should NEVER point Windows to the folder for the drivers. This is done correctly by the driver checker.
    You have an obsolete version of the driver checker. Where did you get that?
    I could try to have a look at what you've done and fix it. What time zone are you in?

6. Figleap

Figleap Standard User

The driver checker came from the product page for the STF-8300 on diffraction limited’s website. We can use another Windows 10 computer I have that hasn’t seen any driver installs for SBIG if we are worried about the damage my previous installs may have done.
    I am central daylight time (GMT-5)
    Thank you for your help.

7. Figleap

Figleap Standard User

This was a hardware issue. The USB board was replaced and the power supply connector fixed. Now the camera connects in the device manager. Problem resolved.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear it.