STF 8300c and repeaters

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by kwalker50, Jan 20, 2016.

1. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

I've been DSLR for about 6 years and wanted to make the move to CCD.
    I chose the STF 8300C to lessen the pain until I get the feel for ccd.
    My first light was with 2 repeaters daisy chained with no real issues except flat frames which I botched.
    I did make the mistake on choosing SBIG file format instead of FITS
    the conversion to fits did destroy the darks and bias (reshot remedied this)
    The next night was flawless with the same configuration (saved in fits)
    a few weeks later nothing worked out right and I ended up replacing every usb cable, repeater,and hubs without solving the problem.
    I was not able to process any of the data even though the data was there.
    I am able to run the dslr ,mount and guide scope from 50 feet away in the comfort of a warm fifth wheel but have to set up at the mount for the STF 8300.
    The SBIG camera is used from OPT with a 90 day warranty.
    I know repeaters and hubs can be flakey but It gets cold at 6000 ft above sea level in New Mexico.
    sorry for rambling but what would cause the sudden loss of data using a repeater on this camera (un remediable)
    I do have strange banding on the images that I process out (similar to Canon banding)
    Is it the Camera or just me.
    For reference I can run the 8300 ,guide scope and mount with a high dollar 50foot repeater incorporating two hubs (one at the mount and one at the PC) but can not process any of the data acquired.
    no disconnects or error codes.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Most hubs and repeaters aren't designed to operate in cold conditions. Their internal oscillator goes off frequency and communications are degraded.

3. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

Thanks Doug.
    The temp was about -9C
    The cold wont last much longer here but I almost hate to repeat the repeater setup with all the lost subs.
    I'm sure there's a solution for remote imaging with this camera.
    It is odd though that the Canon 60da is not effected by the cold.

4. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

I've always found a much better solution is to put a PC right at the mount, then connect to that PC over your network via remote desktop or similar software from another computer.

Josh

5. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

Thanks Josh
    I never could get windows remote desktop to work ,but tried again today and realized after half a day that only windows 7 pro and ultimate support this.
    never the less it sounds like my best solution so I ordered pro for the imaging laptop and I'll let my water cooled home pc do the rest.

6. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

There are other remote desktop programs that don't require an upgrade to windows. I've been using Google Remote Desktop lately and it has been working well. Others have told me that TeamViewer works really well.

7. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

I did give that a little thought but intended to update the laptops to Pro anyway.
    I'm trying to avoid windows 10 as long as possible but when it comes time the transition from pro platform to pro win 10 will suite me better.
    I may try goggle remote desktop in my backup laptop to get a feel for it.
    thanks again Josh
    Ken

8. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

I use D-Link hub with 7 ports (with it's own power supply) on my balcony. All my hardware connected to it. I use 5m active USB-cable to connect from the hub to PC inside my room. Everything works ok. Temperature on the balcony during astro-photo session sometime is -15-20C.
    I think you should try some usb hubs and you will find what you need.
    Best regards.

9. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

I run the Canon 60da 15m with camera and guide scope usb devices to a belkin hub at the mount.
    the mount is controlled through a 50ft rs232 to usb to the laptop.
    At the laptop is another hub (both hubs powered)
    no issues at all.
    The STF8300c doesn't like 5 meters with any repeaters or powered hubs ,at least in the cold,,,,( haven't tried this above freezing)
    a friend brought over his STF8300m and it worked just fine at 15 meters ,but then again it was a short run at -2C (60 minutes)
    my camera failed in 5 minutes.
    I have about 300.00 dollars in repeaters alone and none worked extended past 10 feet with my stf8300c.
    as long as I can keep the laptop at the mount ,all is good.
    If it starts to misbehave at a later date at the mount I'll send it in.(I do like the camera)
    Ken

10. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

Update
    After setting up remote desktop(thanks Josh)
    everything went perfect not counting the bad polar alignment.
    The second night ,after a drift alignment using the same configuration ,the camera timed out(shut off)
    power to all devices ok
    Power supply to camera ok.(checked with a Fluke88)
    AC Power 120 volts 60hz (verified)
    all devices through battery backup/surge protection
    45 minutes later the camera fired up ,I rebooted the pc ,re connected all devices and imaged for 4 hours.
    all data was corrupted and failed calibration ,and Image interrogation.(both PixInsight and DSS)
    I noticed taking 2 minute dark frames for a short run on a star cluster had a band of light matching a perfect shutter opening(not closed all the way)
    also banding like a canon DSLR.
    the first nights lights, darks and bias files are mostly intact.
    Second night --two frames of 30 on the star cluster stacked in DSS but looked like a canon file at ISO 6400 at 10 minutes (they were two minute subs)
    0 frames of 16- 15 minute subs on m82 (none survived)
    For reference last nights skies after 11:00 PM mountain were the best I've seen in 3 years.(I could see M42 naked eye) a blur mind you but great skies.
    Put the DSLR in the focuser and all's right with the world.
    Put the SBIG back in the focuser and lights out.
    this has been an issue since day one
    Question to Doug...if OPT wont take care of this could you email me with an approximate cost for repairs (worse case scenario)

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

12. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ken - one quick thought - have you disabled power management on all the ports? e.g. don't let the computer power down the device/ports ? I ran into this with certain Windows OS and hardware devices, where windows would shut down a device it hadn't needed to talk to in a while. Sometimes referred to as suspend a device / selective suspend.

13. kwalker50

kwalker50 Standard User

Hi Doug
    Unfortunately I purchased the camera used in very good condition from OPT
    They will take the camera back and I'll purchase a new one this time.
    I did the best I could troubleshooting the problem and am confident the camera was the issue.
    just have to make my mind up on mono or color for the new camera.

Colin
    no power management issues
    a friends STF 8300M worked for 7 hours one night and 6 hours the next.
    we used a 4 second delay between 15 minute subs without an issue...not too sure how much delay between subs is required with this camera if any.
    my DSLR uploads almost instantly but I delay that camera 8 seconds just incase.
    I tried to trade him even up but he respectfully declined :)