Resolved STF-8300M Error 218?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Donald Smith, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Donald Smith

Donald Smith Standard User

Greetings,

This morning, the camera was working fine. I took it off to make some adjustments, put it back on, and all of a sudden I am getting Error 218 "limits exceeded" when I try to take an image. Doesn't matter whether I take a dark, bias, or a light image.

Can someone explain what error 218 means?

A thought occurs to me... could it be too hot in the observatory? It was about 35C up here, down to 28C now. I have the cooler set to -5C. It's reached that temperature, but power is around 85%. Could the camera be protecting itself? Is that what error 218 means? That would explain why it was working this morning -- it wasn't so hot.

Thank you very much,

Don Smith
    Guilford College Cline Observatory

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What software are you using?

3. Donald Smith

Sorry, yes, that would be important, wouldn't it?

TheSkyX.

Now, I'm getting very worried. The temperature is down to 20C, the camera cooled to -7C, power is at 50%, and it's still saying limits exceeded. I'll go ask at TheSkyX forum. Should have asked there first. Sorry to have bothered you if it's a software issue.

Yours,

Don

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If I recall correctly -218 is Limits Exceeded, and is referring to the position of the telescope mount.
    It has nothing to do with the camera.
    Likely you've hit a horizon limit or a limit around the pier where the mount would collide with something.

5. Donald Smith

Problem solved, I think. It looks like this was a *focuser* error, and not a camera error at all. I was trying to take bias frames, so I wasn't even looking at the focuser. It seems to be working now.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Yours,

Don

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

No worries. We now know that the error also applies to Bisque's focuser control.