STF-8300M lost its marbles - found some of them

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by John M., Aug 26, 2021.

1. John M.

John M. Standard User

Hi, just wondering if I should be concerned or not. I fired up my STF-8300M for the 1st time since since the April driver update. Got a couple shots off this month and found that the bias frames were sitting at 17.4K! In looking though this forum found that someone else had this happen as well. I had tech support from David Morrow 9 years ago and with those emails reset the defaults for gain (was at 2.3) followed by the USB offset procedure. After a reboot the camera finally gives a bias level of about 1K. Yay!

In looking at camera info I noticed, like with the other post (April 6/21) that the camera serial number is missing from the info panel in CCDops. I am not worried about that, I know the serial! But - and here’s my question - is there another value in EEPROM that may have been reset when this all happened that I should be concerned about? Or have I nailed it? Bias and darks are back to normal, (~1K) thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask if there may be other potential issues when I get back out under the sky…

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

First suggestion:
    You should have:
    SBIG Driver Checker 4.05 with sbigudrv.dll version 4.99 build 7
    IF you have sbigudrv.dll version 5.0.2.0, then see the bottom posting from me in this thread:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...ow-usb-option-sbig-universal.8496/#post-46070
    We've had a couple reports of people who have STXL and other models update to 5.0.2 and experience a shutter or filter wheel issue.
    5.0.2. is needed for STX cameras with the new large AFW 10 slot filter wheels.

Second, if that doesnt cure it, contact @Bill via email bill (at) sbig (dot) com and he may be able to reset your EEPROM and bias levels to factory.

3. John M.

John M. Standard User

Thanks Colin. I have driver checker 4.03 build 4 so I will grab the latest. Sbigudrv.dll IS 5.0.2.0 which was updated when I checked in May or so. Post #46070 you provided a link for I don't seem to have access to. Can you get me access or copy/paste that info?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Solution:
    1. Disconnect USB from camera and power off camera.
    2. SBIG Driver Checker - [Remove] drivers.
    3. From control panel, Apps, uninstall all copies of SBIG Driver Checker. Having multiple versions can cause problems.

4. From the explorer, delete this folder and everything underneath:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SBIG\Driver Checker 64

5. Install SBIG Driver Checker 4.05 from 2019. See attached.
    6. Click [Update]
    7. When it asks to check the internet for an update. Click "No". THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU MAY EXPECT.
    The driver checker will use the local copy of the drivers that came with it when installed.
    This includes sbigudrv.dll version 4.99 build 7 which is essential for ST- and STL- cameras when used with old programs.
    Version 5.0.2.0 is not compatible with some combinations of old hardware and old programs.
    8. Once this is complete, finish up and hit Done to exit the driver checker.
    9. Plug in the camera USB and turn on the AC power.
    Windows will then find the camera, install the drivers, and initialize it. Some cameras will go through 2 cycles of this so you may hear the windows boop-beep; beep-boop more than once.
    10. If you are using MaxIm, with SBIG drivers, you should now see the camera type listed in the interfaces. Do not use Parallel or Serial.
    Done!

Attached Files:

5. John M.

John M. Standard User

Awesome! Thanks Colin, I appreciate this, will make the necessary changes to my laptop. If I find any further issues with the camera I will contact Bill. And I won't bother doing any future driver updates by the sound of things... All seems well after I set the defaults for gain and ran the USB offset utility so hopefully that's the end of the glitches. :)

* * clear skies * *
    John M.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What utility is this and where are you setting the defaults?

7. John M.

John M. Standard User

Using the advanced menu in CCDops as I was instructed by David Morrow, years ago in a support email. Did the trick to get my bias levels back to normal.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Oh... not generally for user consumption!

9. John M.

John M. Standard User

I know, that's why I didn't mention it! My camera is serial #F010015 so an early unit. I think he wanted me fixed up quickly rather than sending it from Canada to the USA and back when it had FW problems. And we didn't have Remote Desktop support that worked well back in 2012 either. He came through when needed and helped me fix it so that I could get my 1st light images with it. SBIG has always had great support!!

10. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

John,

Nominal gain and offset values for this model are, in the neighborhood of, 152 and .38. The offset can vary quite a bit but the gain should be right around there.

-Bill

11. John M.

John M. Standard User

What I have is pretty close! Thanks again Colin and Bill, I will be keeping all this info handy for future reference. Laptop now running 4.99 build 7 for sbigudrv.dll. I will NOT be updating this in future and am hoping that no more problems pop up. But who knows what joy Windows 11 will bring! :)

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I doubt the update was responsible. Somehow your camera's EEPROM got corrupted.