STF-8300M unresponsive after attempted update to firmware 2.48

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by funkmeisterfred, Dec 3, 2015.

1. funkmeisterfred

funkmeisterfred Standard User

I attempted to update my STF-8300M firmware this evening. I followed directions as specified, exactly as follows:
    • I updated to the latest version of Driver Checker 64 (successful)
    • I updated the computer's SBIG drivers via the "Update" botton (successful)
    • I clicked the firmware tab, retrieved version information from the camera, and was indicated an update was available from 2.47 to 2.48.
    • I initiated the firmware reprogramming. The "status" bar indicated "Uploading..." but sat unchanged (at what I guess would be 0%)
    • After a minute or 2, the program indicated "TX Timeout". At no time was power removed or USB unplugged.
    • Now the camera is unresponsive. Applying power does not give the usual shutter clicks, the red LED is off, and USB does not connect. The fan does run.
    Can anyone advise on troubleshooting steps?

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

3. funkmeisterfred

Thanks for your response Tim.

I didn't kill the process. It stopped on it's own: "TX Timeout" was the error it gave.

Please advise on steps I can take to resolve this issue.

4. funkmeisterfred

Tim - Thanks again very much for your response.

I searched the forums further and found another thread from a user regarding a delay during firmware updating just a few weeks ago. His situation sounds a bit unlike mine however, as my update attempt specifically threw a "Timeout" error and aborted on its own... Is it possible that even though it appeared to have aborted the update at this point, it really didn't? I'd say "could've fooled me", but maybe it actually did!

http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/index.php?threads/firmware-update-snafuu.1644/#post-8570

Either way, it does indeed sound like it's bricked :( I'll contact Bill with Service & Repair and arrange having this fixed up.

For whatever it's worth, I've updated the firmware a few times in the past with a previous version of "Driver Checker" using the same machine/cabling/etc, and never had an issue.

Thanks again for the quick feedback. Will email Bill shortly.

5. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Had another camera owner tell me the same thing today, he got a "TX Timeout Error" message while updating the firmware in his STF.

6. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Are you able to obtain the firmware version from the camera/try uploading the firmware again? I've seen this before, and sometimes the camera still accepts firmware.

7. funkmeisterfred

That's a bit more comforting to know. Bill, package will be sent to you today. Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks for the suggestion Adam. I did attempt this last night without success. When connected via USB, the camera is no longer detected by the computer (doesn't enumerate in device manager), so as expected, the DriverChecker isn't able to communicate with it. I should mention as well that after the initial attempt aborted with "TX Timeout Error" I tried to restart the process before disconnecting or cycling power, and communication failed then too.

I'll try once again this afternoon before I seal up the box for shipping.

Again, appreciate everyone's quick responses. Thanks!

8. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

Yes, today I tried to update my STF-8300M to 1.48 firmware and I had "TX Timeout Error" too.
    But the camera did not "bricked". After some attempts I took another USB cable and connect camera to computer, without USB-hub, that I use for all astro-stuff. After this change firmware updating did ok.

After updating I have only one strange thing - before my bias level was about 1000, after updating my bias is about 17000. Is it ok?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  9. funkmeisterfred

Hi Aleh - Glad to hear you were able to recover your camera's firmware. If I ever find myself in a position to deal with this again (hopefully not), I'll keep your experience in mind, though I'm certain I tried similar troubleshooting steps. I wonder if my attempt got further along in the process (e.g. erased flash) than yours before aborting...

I hope to see some type of recovery mechanism added to the DriverUpdater that can be applied without pulling power (which presumably leaves the camera attached/active over USB). I'll be watching the changelogs for something related to this, but probably won't update again without it. Bill was incredibly helpful and prompt in getting this fixed up, but shipping out a camera is never any fun.

A 17000 bias ADU sounds extraordinarily high. Something roughly in the 900 - 1000 range is all I've ever seen. Hopefully someone else can comment on this. You might consider making a new topic.

10. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Aleh, it sounds like your EEPROM may have been corrupted in the process. I'd like to log into your computer remotely and do some diagnostics. Are you available some time this week to get this set up?

11. Aleh

Aleh Standard User