STF4070C not debayering properly

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Wannaberocker, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Wannaberocker

Wannaberocker Cyanogen Customer

No matter the debayer configuration used the colors are very wrong for this STF4070C the club has for their planewave. Is it possible it is an SC version?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Please provide the camera serial number and a sample light frame image (1x1, not processed), and then maybe we can figure out what's going wrong.

3. Wannaberocker

Model says STF-4070C and Serial number is 472007002, I will have to provide the image after work. Thanks.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, that serial number checks out as a RGB, not a LRGB sparse colour camera. Send an image when you get a chance. Also let us know what software you were using to debayer it.

5. Wannaberocker

Here is the fits file from the camera. The 2nd image is an unlinked ScreenTransferFunction stretch made non-linear using Pixinsight. The 3rd is linked STF stretch in Pixinsight. RGGB was the debayer pattern. Is this correct? I usually use monochrome and LRGB filters with my other 2 rigs so this One Shot Color stuff just confuses me. I am unsure if they were using any kind of filter in front of the camera.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Often with CCD cameras the Bayer matrix doesn't align as RG / GB. You have to offset a pixel in X and/or Y.

In MaxIm DL, using the "SBIG" camera option with X offset = 1 worked properly.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It looks like the offset needs to be changed when Debayering.
    I don't know whether the issue was TheSkyX or PixInsight.
    Here it is with MaxIm DL.

Attached Files:

8. Wannaberocker

Thanks for the help guys. SO is there a way to adjust for this during image capture? A lot of guys use Pixinsight to pre-process and probably aren't aware of this. How does one get around this? Or is using MaximDL the only way to debayer the color matrix?

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

PixInsight probably has some kind of setting for this... but it's really outside our wheelhouse. Personally I've never used the software. You'll have to ask them.

10. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

In PixInsight (and in most other post processing applications) the user decides whether to use auto-detect Bayer-matrix or manually set the pattern to be used during deBayering.

Auto-detect Bayer matrix rarely works, even when the pattern is recorded in the FIT's header because there is no internationally agreed protocol defining which pixel location of any make of detector corresponds to which particular colour filter of the Bayer array.

For that reason you normally just make a test deBayer of a single frame to determine what the correct Bayer pattern is and then set that pattern in the deBayer tool you are using for the full series of images.

In the case of your posted image above, in PixInsight you change the Bayer matrix setting from "Auto" to "GBRG" in either batch pre-processing or the stand-alone deBayer module, whichever of those modules you are using.

The attached single-frame un-calibrated image below is your sample frame deBayered using GBRG as the Bayer pattern in PixInsight's standalone DeBayer module with saturation increased and Histogram Transformation applied.

Picking up on your comments above note that in PixInsight the STF channels should be unlinked when applying screen stretch to deBayered images until the image has been subject to DBE or one of the colour calibration modules. If you apply STF with linked channels then the image will appear with a strong colour cast because it is not white balanced.

HTH.

NGC_5194_DeBayer_GBRG.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021