STi body diameter

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by William Shaheen, Nov 8, 2014.

1. William Shaheen

William Shaheen Standard User

According to the product's specs, it has an eyepiece size body (1.25" diameter).

However, I have tried to insert it into a number of 1.25" accessories and it is just too tight.

Did I just happen to get one out of spec?

William Shaheen
    Gold Canyon, AZ

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

All cameras should be machined within allowable tolerances. Does the body appear flawed in any way?

3. William Shaheen

Hi, Tim.

The body appears normal except that the black end ring is slightly smaller and does fit into 1-1/2 inch openings. But, that stops at the beginning of the red barrel. I have since found that the camera will fit into a Celestron OAG - but nothing else.

Have there been other reports of this difficulty?

Thanks for your reply,
    William

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

There have been no other reports of this.

What other accessories have you tried it with? Who is the manufacturer?

5. William Shaheen

I have tried it in a Celestron 2x Barlow, a Celestron 3x Barlow, an Explore Scientific 1-1/4 to 2" adapter, a Williams Optic 1-1/4 to 2" adapter and an Orion 1.25" extension tube.

William

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Do you have a caliper to measure the red cylinder body?

Would the difference be visible in a photo? Can you send me an image showing the black ring and the red body?

7. William Shaheen

The difference is much too small to show up in a photo.

I need to go to a repair shop this week and will get them to measure with their calipers.

William

8. William Shaheen

Hi, Tim -

I just returned from the repair shop I mentioned earlier. The STi's red barrel measured 31.85mm (1.2539 inches).
    Measurements were taken 90 deg apart to check for eccentricity and both measurements were the same.

Hope this helps,

William

9. Tim

Tim Staff Member

It is within spec. The unit that I have here that I just meausred is also almost exactly the same as yours... 1.253-1.254 and it fits perfectly all of the accessories that I tried. My only guess would be that your accessories may not be within spec.

10. William Shaheen

Thank you, Tim. In addition to the accessories I listed earlier, "Celestron 2x Barlow, a Celestron 3x Barlow, an Explore Scientific 1-1/4 to 2" adapter, a Williams Optic 1-1/4 to 2" adapter and an Orion 1.25" extension tube.", it also does not fit a parfocal ring I recently bought.

That seems awfully strange, that we would have such a dichotomy. But, I guess it is what it is and I will move on since it does fit my Celestron OAG nice and snuggly, fortunately.

Thanks, again.

William

11. DannyV

DannyV Standard User

William Shaheen likes this.
  12. William Shaheen

Yes, it does. But it easily slips past that point and hangs up on the red barrel.

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately the 1.25" barrel "standard" isn't really a standard. There is no document you can point to that recommends tolerances etc. Occasionally this results in problems with eyepieces not fitting, etc.